DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble installing a new kitchen faucet. It's one of those that has the pull down sprayer...anyway it has 3/8 hoses. However, my old hoses were 7/16 x 1/2 inch...so in order for the current 3/8 hoses to work what needs to be done? :huh: Are there any adapters from 7/16 to 3/8 so this faucet can work? :huh:My first home so I'm just starting to do some fixing to save some bread!!!

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,204 Posts
I'm having trouble installing a new kitchen faucet. It's one of those that has the pull down sprayer...anyway it has 3/8 hoses. However, my old hoses were 7/16 x 1/2 inch...so in order for the current 3/8 hoses to work what needs to be done? :huh: Are there any adapters from 7/16 to 3/8 so this faucet can work? :huh:My first home so I'm just starting to do some fixing to save some bread!!!
Ayuh,... Got any pictures,..?? 7/16" is really an odd-ball size, that I've never seen in Any plumbin' fittin'...

'n ya keep mentionin' Hoses,... aren't there some Pipes involved somewhere,..??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ayuh,... Got any pictures,..?? 7/16" is really an odd-ball size, that I've never seen in Any plumbin' fittin'...

'n ya keep mentionin' Hoses,... aren't there some Pipes involved somewhere,..??
I don't currently have any pictures, but maybe I can take some tonight and post them. As for your question regarding hoses...yes its the hoses from the faucet that connect to the shut off valve. The hoses themselves have a tag that say 7/16 x 1/2 does that mean it's 7/16 from the faucet and 1/2 to the shutt off valve or vise versa? Do most faucets have the 3/8 hoses that connect to the shut off valves?

With that said, does that mean I will have to change my shut off valves to take 3/8 hoses? We also have a dishwasher with a 3/8 x 3/8 hose and the refrigerator line which is probably 1/4 connected to the shut off valves as well.

I'm so F'n confussed right now :censored: cuz I previously changed the faucet with the same hoses not problems and now the new faucet has new hose connects with all 3/8 fittings :furious:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
i would guess that they are probably metric. years ago we started getting faucets made in switzerland and the early ones came with adapters from metric to standard 3/8. the later ones came with regular 3/8 connections.

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,204 Posts
I don't currently have any pictures, but maybe I can take some tonight and post them. As for your question regarding hoses...yes its the hoses from the faucet that connect to the shut off valve. The hoses themselves have a tag that say 7/16 x 1/2 does that mean it's 7/16 from the faucet and 1/2 to the shutt off valve or vise versa? Do most faucets have the 3/8 hoses that connect to the shut off valves?

With that said, does that mean I will have to change my shut off valves to take 3/8 hoses? We also have a dishwasher with a 3/8 x 3/8 hose and the refrigerator line which is probably 1/4 connected to the shut off valves as well.

I'm so F'n confussed right now :censored: cuz I previously changed the faucet with the same hoses not problems and now the new faucet has new hose connects with all 3/8 fittings :furious:
Ayuh,.... That's the part I personally Hate 'bout Plumbin',....

Faucets, seem to always be Weird, in 1 way or another,...
Standardized Faucets are anything but Standardized...

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Most of the time the old shut offs are shot anyway why not just change them to 3/8?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Does the faucet have its own hoses? Even the real cheap pull out sprayer faucets come with plastic hoses already attached. But without a picture it is hard to say what the deal is. All else fails bring the new faucet back to bigbox and get some new shut offs. Mnay times when I do those pull out sprayers I like to replumb everything some that darn sprayer lines is not tangled up in everything

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most of the time the old shut offs are shot anyway why not just change them to 3/8?
I'm trying not to change them because I really don't know what size these shut off valves are. I know I could just take them off install new ones, but the one that I really don't know the size of is the fridge water line, could it be 1/4 or ?? I don't want to call a plumber out for this for them to earn a buck, cuz I know it's easy...but I'm getting to frustrated to even see straight on this lil dumb job. :furious:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the faucet have its own hoses? Even the real cheap pull out sprayer faucets come with plastic hoses already attached. But without a picture it is hard to say what the deal is. All else fails bring the new faucet back to bigbox and get some new shut offs. Mnay times when I do those pull out sprayers I like to replumb everything some that darn sprayer lines is not tangled up in everything
Yes the faucet has it's own hoses it came with that are 3/8...It looks like it's going to be new shut off valves with no fridge water line:no: in order for everything to work properly.

I installed the faucet only to find out my shut off valves did not fit my lines on the new faucet. Then I had to uninstall everything and get all frustrated at my local store and not know what options I have. :censored::censored:

Does anyone know what the standard shut off valves size NORMALLY is? I ask that pretty vaguely cuz I'm sure the guys who built my home used anything other than items routinely used. Like I didn't have an access panel for me to see my plumbing anywhere around the house/condo and had to make a hole in my downstairs ceiling to make repairs to a leak.

Will try and post pictures tonight.

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
There is no need for access panels unless there's a hidden shut off, or behind a shower deverter.
Lines to the fridge are 1/4", shut offs are 3/8" compression.
If there's just two copper lines cominging off of that new faucet there going to be 3/8.

No one here knows what supply lines you have or what size they are so I'll make a guess that a valve like this would work if you have 1/2 copper supplys.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25e...angId=-1&keyword=Shut+off+valve&storeId=10051

·
Registered
43 Posts
While you're at it, it may not be a bad idea to replace that Floodsafe hose with a standard hose. If you google it, you'll see they sometimes break off at one of the connections, causing a flood. I suppose it's ironic that a hose claimed to be "Floodsafe" may actually be more likely to cause a flood than a standard hose.

I purchased a Floodsafe hose for my dishwasher, then googled it before the install and read the horror stories about them failing. I returned it and just bought a standard dishwasher hose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stephen9666 said:
While you're at it, it may not be a bad idea to replace that Floodsafe hose with a standard hose. If you google it, you'll see they sometimes break off at one of the connections, causing a flood. I suppose it's ironic that a hose claimed to be "Floodsafe" may actually be more likely to cause a flood than a standard hose.

I purchased a Floodsafe hose for my dishwasher, then googled it before the install and read the horror stories about them failing. I returned it and just bought a standard dishwasher hose.
Ceiling Light fixture Lighting Brass Metal

How come these things just keep turning?? I need to change them but they just keep turning and don't come off...does that mean I need to cut them off? How do I install the new ones?? I thought they just screw on and off I'm going nuts guys!!

Attachments

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
You don't want the plumber to come out and earn a quick buck, because you know it's easy? :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Those are compression valves. There's a nut on the back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know about the nut in the back, but the nut just keeps spinning couldn't it just be coming off now I've loosened it up all the way. Do I need to cut it off? Please help I've been without a faucet for a week now!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.