DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new faucet and pop up drain made by American Standard (Model: Serin) and there's a minor leak. There's a really small amount of water which is coming down into the drain body's threads.

I have installed the pop drain according to the manufacturer's instructions. To my surprise, the manufacturer doesn't require plumber putty below the flange. There's foam gasket installed under the flange (see image below).

I didn't put Teflon paste, plumber putty or caulk in between the bottom of the sink and the rubber gasket.

The lug nut was tighten enough. I stopped tightening the lug nut when the flange was flush with the sink.

To remedy the problem, what should I do ?

Add Teflon tape to the drain body where the lug nut is sitting ?
Add plumber putty below the flange ?
Add Teflon paste in between the bottom of the sink and the rubber gasket ?
Tight the lug nut even more ?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Some times there is a burr or other rough edge on the bottom hole of the sink--

Check for that---then add a dab of silicone to the rubber gasket and try it again---some use plumbers putty or even TFE paste

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike .
Would you also add some silicone caulk below the flange or the foam gasket should be enough ?

Some times there is a burr or other rough edge on the bottom hole of the sink--

Check for that---then add a dab of silicone to the rubber gasket and try it again---some use plumbers putty or even TFE paste

·
Premium Member
12,448 Posts
All the pop ups I put in do not have the foam gasket which means I use putty- you might try that.
Another thing I do is- after the pop up body is in the drain hole I use pipe dope on the immediately exposed threads, only where the bottom gasket sits.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

I'm not convinced by the foam gasket even though I'm sure it's doing its job.

I will put some pipe dope on the threads where the cone gasket sits. Do I have to put a lot ?

If it still leaks then I will add some putty under the flange (putty + foam gasket).

Thanks again.

All the pop ups I put in do not have the foam gasket which means I use putty- you might try that.
Another thing I do is- after the pop up body is in the drain hole I use pipe dope on the immediately exposed threads, only where the bottom gasket sits.

·
Premium Member
12,448 Posts
My theory on the dope is that the gasket is not embedding into the threads and allowing water to pass down the threads.
So the dope is just a filler.
I have seen your problem often enough that this step has become almost second nature when I assemble pop ups

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes sense because technically it's not possible to have a perfect seal between the gasket and the threads.

Question for you. If the water is coming down the threads, is it because the water is able to get in between the flange and the sink ? Just want to make sure the foam gasket is not letting water get in.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

My theory on the dope is that the gasket is not embedding into the threads and allowing water to pass down the threads.
I have seen your problem often enough that this step has become almost second nature when I assemble pop ups

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What more appropriate: Pipe Joint Compound or Teflon-Thread Dope ? This is what's offered locally.

·
Premium Member
12,448 Posts
westbank said:
What more appropriate: Pipe Joint Compound or Teflon-Thread Dope ? This is what's offered locally.
Non-setting teflon pipe dope

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum. Watch out for spell check

Reactions: westbank
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.