DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, let me say I'm experienced with electrical circuits, wiring, and working on appliances. I'm not a licensed electrician but definitely not an amateur DIY either.

We just got a new electric oven to replace our old one. The wiring is 3-wire with each wire looking about 6awg. My problem is I cannot get the wires into their holes on the electrical "panel" on the back of the new oven. It looks like the holes are meant for 8awg. I know I can use connectors instead to secure the wires to their respective places but what type of connectors do I need to use? Would set screw lugs be ok? Thank you.
--
Tony

·
Journeyman Wireman
196 Posts
I think this is a valid question. How about a picture of the terminations at the appliance with the wire nearby for a reference? We could then discuss the merits ways to terminate the wire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Jupe Blue. Here's a picture of what I'm working with:

Yes, I've removed the set screws from the three terminal blocks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,178 Posts
The oven is not made to be hardwired.
Those connections are made for a spade connector from a cord used to plug into a receptacle.
No matter what you try, you will never get that #6 connected to those screws!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Those connections are made for a spade connector from a cord used to plug into a receptacle.
Yes you need a cord..:yes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, there are holes on the underside of the terminal blocks meant for hardwiring, and the directions also indicate this.

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
It is astonishing how many people have "licensed electrician" friends, or are going to have a "licensed electrician do the hook up", but just want to ask a few questions here, to be sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is astonishing how many people have "licensed electrician" friends, or are going to have a "licensed electrician do the hook up", but just want to ask a few questions here, to be sure.
You know what's astonishing is how fast people jump to conclusions.

Thanks everyone for your help. Since I can't wait 2 weeks for my buddy to return I'm going to hire an electrician to come over and do what needs to be done.

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
You know what's astonishing is how fast people jump to conclusions.

No, no. Don't take it that way. Your statement just made me think of it so I quoted you. I have read several posts here in the last couple days where a similar statement was made.

And, if you have some electrical experience, you could easily put the receptacle in yourself. And save a heap of money. A surface mount 3-wire range receptacle is less than $10, and the cord is maybe $12.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, no. Don't take it that way. Your statement just made me think of it so I quoted you. I have read several posts here in the last couple days where a similar statement was made.
Then I apologize for misunderstanding you. I really try NOT to be one of those "oh, I can do it" guys that have no real experience/knowledge. That only gets you into trouble quickly. I hate to say it because I know this is also a cliched statement, but I know my limits.

And, if you have some electrical experience, you could easily put the receptacle in yourself. And save a heap of money. A surface mount 3-wire range receptacle is less than $10, and the cord is maybe $12.
Well, we lucked out. I spoke to my buddy's sister and she has one of their licensed electrician employees coming over tomorrow to take care of it. I could do it but since they'll be cutting me a $ break I'd rather have him do it. Thanks again folks for the replies.

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Tony

If this is an oven and not a range it likely doesn't need 6 awg for its branch circuit and those wires may indeed be to large in awg to fit the terminal block for hard wiring... . You could use a range cord but I'd get the flat 40 amp gray type. The black round type are very bulky and I don't think it will work based on what I see in your picture. I'm thinking the preferred way to wire your oven is by hardwiring so you could install a jb and run a appliance whip to the oven.

What are the electrical requirements for the branch circuit for your oven...?

·
Wire Chewer
3,579 Posts
I'd check with the appliance store. I never heard of having to wire my own oven, they usually come with the proper cord attached.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
"Mystery" of old leads not fitting on new oven

Tony

If this is an oven and not a range it likely doesn't need 6 awg for its branch circuit and those wires may indeed be to large in awg to fit the terminal block for hard wiring... . You could use a range cord but I'd get the flat 40 amp gray type. The black round type are very bulky and I don't think it will work based on what I see in your picture. I'm thinking the preferred way to wire your oven is by hardwiring so you could install a jb and run a appliance whip to the oven.

What are the electrical requirements for the branch circuit for your oven...?
As you point out in the last paragraph. "What are the electrical requirements...."! People sometimes tend to forget the basics. But in any case. If the picture in post #4 is a true representation of the condition of the leads, they'll never fit into the Lugs, or whatever termination there is on the (back) panel. They're all spread out. (Now more than ever):furious::no::drink:Don't Drink and Drive!!!

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
I'd check with the appliance store. I never heard of having to wire my own oven, they usually come with the proper cord attached.
That may be the case in Canada, but in the US none of the ranges, dryers, or ovens come with any sort of cord. The appliance store will often times attach a cord -- and many times the bonding strap is improperly handled.... :mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My buddy's partner is very busy since he's working solo right now. He took a look and left the parts I needed. I installed a surface mount 3-wire box and used a oven power cord to go from there to the inputs on the oven. Done deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts