DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a deck 12x30. I am using 6x6 posts and 2 2x12 for the main frame and 2x10 for joist.

Question is the main beams that support the front are going to be 2 2x12 boards that end on a corner meet with the other set of 2 2x12 boards at a 90 degree. The 6x6 post is on that corner also how to i attach that alltogether?

Attached is a pic to help paint the picture. What do i need to do to get it all together? I have seen a lot of metal 100 plus dollar brackets custom meachinshop made but that's not what i am looking for.

My old deck is looks like it just sits on it.

Well as soon as i can figure out if i can attached a pic i will.

· Naildriver
24,792 Posts
I am gathering that the bands do not meet at a 6x6. Normally you would carriage bolt them to the 6x6. You can use Ledger Locks to attach the free ends of the 2x12's to each other if they are cantilevered. Remember, your cantilever can only be 24". Your 2x12 beams must be inlet into the 6x6 at the top and through bolted, or sit on top of the 6x6 using the proper Simpson Strongtie post to beam connector.
Try the pictures again, as you can't post them on the first ride.

· Naildriver
24,792 Posts
The forum doesn't allow pictures nor attachments on the first few posts to keep spammers at bay. At the bottom of your reply, click on "Go Advanced", then click on "Manage Attachments". It is pretty self explanatory after that. Looking forward to the pix.

· In a little over my head
1,733 Posts
I'm thinking you don't mean beams. You are referring to the bands, or rim joists as being double 2x12. Is that correct? Then the corners of the deck, where the rim joists meet, sits on top of the 6x6.

I'm also guessing that the deck will be fastened to the house. Or will it be freestanding?

If I'm correct, then I'd do it like Nealtw's diagram above. Notching the 6x6 is easy and fun, once you know the trick.

Will the bottom end of the 6x6 be sunk in the ground, or fastened to the top of a concrete footing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.