DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you not need to use anything equivalent to clamp connectors with these new construction blue plastic receptacles that have some sort of tabs in the back through which to pull the cable? i was thinking the tab stop the cable in case it gets pulled out, therefore doing what the clamp connector does.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
do you not need to use anything equivalent to clamp connectors with these new construction blue plastic receptacles that have some sort of tabs in the back through which to pull the cable? i was thinking the tab stop the cable in case it gets pulled out, therefore doing what the clamp connector does.
I think you will see that the single gang boxes don't even have the lock tab:no:

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
I think you will see that the single gang boxes don't even have the lock tab:no:
Only on the new work single gang box most of them do not have locking tab at all but for remodel or old work box Oui they do have them.

For two gang and larger box most case they will have locking tabs in there.{ very few will not have it}

Merci,
Marc

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
KB..thanks for the clarification....I was too lazy to look it up.
You're going to be in mess of trouble when the people on this site that do look these things up, get to lazy to help you.
This just bugs the s**t out of me. If you know where to get an answer and can look it up by yourself, why ask here. Verification is one thing I am totally cool with. In fact I encourage people to verify anything they are told.
If you really knew where to look it up I would be surprised.

·
Electromagician
79 Posts
J V
I love the ones that just tell you it's in the code somewhere. I've even had building officials tell me that, when I knew that it wasn't in the code anywhere. I just respond with, well when you find it let me know the article you are talking about. Of course in this instance at 6" you would at least still be legal, which is much better than just making one up that you think should be in the code.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
To JV and powerfactor... Sorry if my comment got under your skin. My 6" reference was a safe rule of thumb, within NEC guidlines. And since the comment was taken so poorly I decided to look it up anyway. I can find only one reference and it's 12"..not 6 or 8. So to KB...where did you find the 8" reference?

Or JV....maybe YOU can tell me where to look it up.

·
Electromagician
79 Posts
Missouri
You didn't get under my skin at all. Been in this business a long time.

by the way 314.16(C) exception

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how about running MC cable into a box like that? is it allowed and do i strip the metal cladding before it enters the box or after?

thanks

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shoot !! the only reason i got a plastic box was because that was the only 3-gang box i could find. i need a 3-gang box.

·
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO
369 Posts
314.3 exception no. 1 allows MC or AC in non-metallic boxes
if it is bonded
exception 2 does permit bonding bushing on all threaded entries,But that would totally change wire fill and be a pain to trim out since there would be a migb for each entry .
So in reality using mc in a plastic box would be a pain,

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
I concede that in some circumstances, terminating type MC cable is possible with the proper bonding, etc. HOWEVER ...

This thread is about those blue boxes (Carlon single-gang nail-ups), and THOSE are not suitable for type MC cable in any case:

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
but how do you affix those on the side of a 2x4 if they don't have braces? i thought those are for masonry walls.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts