DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a switch in my bedroom that powers an outlet, it has one back wire and one white wire coming to it. I installed a ceiling fan in the bedroom and ran wiring to this switch to power the fan. I thought I could just splice the two blacks together and the two whites together and then ponytail a white and a black to the switch and it would power the outlet and the fan... When I turned the switch on the outlet had power but not the fan.. When I turned the switch off the fan had power? All blacks were together and all whites were together... Where did I go wrong?

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,823 Posts
If the switch has just the black and white, you cannot power the switched receptacle and the fan at the same time. You have what is called a switch loop and do not have a neutral in the switch box. The white wire you have is being used as a hot feed to the switch.

You can have a switched receptacle or s fan switch but not both.

You choice is to give up the switched receptacle or run the wire from the fan to the receptacle.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,823 Posts
Ok. what I really would like to do is to make the outlet hot all the time and just power the fan.
Easy enough. Turn the power off. Open the receptacle. Connect both white wires on the silver screws, connect both blacks on the brass screws.

At the switch remove the white wire from the switch and connect to the white you ran to the fan. Connect the black to the fan back on the switch where you removed the white.

If you find more than 2 whites and 2 blacks at the receptacle, tell us and we will tell you how to proceed.

·
Super Moderator
20,917 Posts
The above description is fine with one exception. If the receptacle was half switched then you will need to change the receptacle as the tab will have been cut between the gold hot screws.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts