DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace the original 1958 telephone wiring in my house with cat5e which should be fairly easy to do since most of the wiring is accessible from the basement and it's only one floor . The question is once the wires are hanging in the basement what is the best way to connect all the wiring ? I took out the old lightening protector when the phone company installed a new NID on the outside several years ago. The ends of the wiring in the basement which is about 4 or 5 home runs are just twisted together as of now and are not connected to the NID because they were disconnected from the current service provider which I now have from a coaxial cable.
Thanks

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,122 Posts
For phone .Actually my modem provides form the phone with the coaxial cable and it plugs into a jack which supplies the rest of the jacks in the house.
You are wasting your time and money. no need for CAT 5 for phone service.

Reactions: GrayHair

·
JOATMON
17,228 Posts
You are wasting your time and money. no need for CAT 5 for phone service.
I strongly disagree.....as will most phone experts.

Cat 5/E/6 is outstanding for phone line usage.

1. Excellent signal characteristics
2. Inexpensive (cheap)
3. Multi-line (up to 4 phones)
4. Robust
5. You can use existing crimpers to crimp an RJ-11 plug on it.

Why buy just phone line cable when that spare chunk of Ethernet cable will work as well if not better.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,122 Posts
I strongly disagree.....as will most phone experts.

Cat 5/E/6 is outstanding for phone line usage.

1. Excellent signal characteristics
2. Inexpensive (cheap)
3. Multi-line (up to 4 phones)
4. Robust
5. You can use existing crimpers to crimp an RJ-11 plug on it.

Why buy just phone line cable when that spare chunk of Ethernet cable will work as well if not better.
Why replace existing inside wire (most likely CAT3 ) if all you want is phone service? If this were a new install I would agree with you as CAT 5/6 can be used for data.
I would not call myself a phone expert but I did work in a local wire line Telco for 33 years.

·
JOATMON
17,228 Posts
Why replace existing inside wire (most likely CAT3 ) if all you want is phone service? If this were a new install I would agree with you as CAT 5/6 can be used for data.
I would not call myself a phone expert but I did work in a local wire line Telco for 33 years.
So you will know what AML and CM8 is?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
If there is no static or noise on the old Telco wire, it will continue to work for a long time.

Pulling Cat-5e only works if you can get it to where the current jacks are. When you pull it, pull two runs to each outlet. One for Ethernet and the other for phone.

I only ran six wires when I redid my network. Two jacks have two each and two have one. That is because I have a switch at those jacks that I have more than two pieces of gear that needs to be hard wired.

Our phones are Cellphones, no need for landline or Digital VoIP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.