DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi. I am trying to build a new kitchen area inside a warehouse. It will be built in an empty space. I do have 2 existing walls. I will need to frame 2 walls. One will have a door. I also need to build a ceilng on this. Nothing will be on top. The addition will be 106" x 94". The longest side will have the door. How do I build the ceiling joists on this? The ceiling joist can rest on the top plates of the 2 new framed walls, but how do I attach the ceiling joists to the other existing walls?

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
is this a steel stud frame up ?

build the two walls first as high as possilbe and then just install a ledger around the perimeter then set ceiling joists with steel stud.. much lighter and easy to handle solo

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Thought about your post a bit more and think I see what your doing.You need a ledger board fastened to the exterior wall (16) and a rim joist set on top of the opposite wall (16).Your supporting joint will go between these with the wall supporting the joists on the left (16) wall and joist hangers nailed to the ledger board on the right (16) wall.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
You may have to follow commercial code, esp fire if cooking.

If you put metal stud inside a metal track and screw the flanges together, you can make strong "beam" that you can hang insulation, sheetrock or drop ceiling. 2x6 metal. Light fixture as well. With drop ceiling, you won't need heavier duty nailers for sheetrock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts