DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I thought he would at least pull a cover or fixture and look. Or even test a GFCI, I asked if he wanted me to do the same He said no. Ten minutes and poof like Keyser Soze, he disappeared.
I just bought my house in September.
In my case, the home inspector took 2 hours, and charged $235 US. He was extremely thorough about most things, but missed others.

He also offered a "premium" inspection for $1250, where he would bring the trades to the house with him, and would do a much more thorough inspection.

Sorry if I'm getting too far off topic.

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
I was going to buy a home a few years ago and decided to do my own inspection and just to be sure and if I was unsure of anything I would go from there. That way if I found anything big right off I would not be out money for an inspection fee. I was there for about two hours and the realtor was hounding me like he wanted me to be done in ten min the whole time. I found aluminum wiring holes in the roof around all the vent and exhaust pipes some water damage and a few small problems. Tried to get the homeowners to agree to repair or come down on the price and the homeowners and realtor acted like there was nothing wrong with the home and I was being unreasonable. Even with my pictures showing you could clearly see outside from the attic aluminum wiring and water damage. It was a fight to get out of. Now when I go to see a house I do my general inspection before we sign anything.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Was he someone the realtor suggested?

Just like a doctor talks to you two min writes in his notebook and poof he is gone and there is a bill for 180 bucks.

Was shopping for insurance and one company said they would need a home inspector and I am not ready since furnace is not hooked up and some wiring needs to be done. With that guy I would not have to worry ten min and all set.

Ended up finding one that will insure my work in progress with a higher rate but once I am done I can shop around. And get a full home inspection if needed.
"Was he someone the realtor suggested?"

No, County Inspector!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts