DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now live in Asia where the current is 220 volts, and although most appliances are of said voltage there are still a lot of 110 volt appliances that come in from the USA. Since 3 wires come in from the transformer pole; 2 hot legs and a neutral from a center tap, 110/220 is available. To avoid using 2 kinds of outlets and still confusing the correct outlet to use, I simple remove the plug and wire the 110 appliance's neutral wire to the ground plug and the black (hot) wire to one of the hot legs. A lot of appliances are double insulated and does not require a 3 prong plug. This way whatever appliance is plugged in whether 110 or 220, there is no danger of the 110 appliance burning. This is similar to the 110/220 outlet for say a clothes washer that has 110 volt controls and 220 heating coils

When going through a sub-panel, because there are no metal ductings or metal water pipes, there is no need for insulated bus bar, as there are no other paths to return except via the main panel and back to the transformer.

Anyone's comment will be greatly appreciated.

·
DIYer
910 Posts
Return currents on the ground mean that every chassis in your house will become energized if the ground were to become disconnected anywhere between the load and the panel. It's a dangerous situation and you shouldn't do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ground and the neutral share the same bus bar in the main panel, but in the case of sub-panels, an isolated bus bar for neutral along with an insulated neutral is required so that the return current does not see a another way back and split up on the way to the pole transformer.
Since we do not have any metal ductings or metal water lines in Asia, the neutral can only return one way.

In Asia all the ground wires are insulated, the switches are all double insulated(the screws do not show until you remove the cover).

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
So I come along behind you and I'm supposed to know that the ground wire in your branch circuits is carrying neutral current????(Because of your tampering)

·
DIYer
910 Posts
Yes but the metal appliance chassis for things like stoves and washing machines are connected to ground aren't they bob? If that is the case then the chassis can become energized if the ground is carrying current and becomes broken. End of story.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts