DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Nest to upgrade my thermostat. I had to change some of the wiring from the Nest to the control- previously 1-2-R-C, to Rh-G-W-Y.
The fan runs with the AC and the fan runs with the Heat- However the fan does not run with the Fan Schedule, or on Demand when using the Nest thermostat functions.
I have a Emerson 50C51-707 Two-Stage Integrated Furnace Control for Furnace with Variable Speed Fan.
Anything people recommend I look into?
Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electrical wiring

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Audio equipment

Electric fan Steering part Home appliance Rim Gadget

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
You really should have a common with the nest. Their claim of no common required is very misleading, and only applies in a small subset of situations. Use their adapter kit if you don't have enough wires.

The real question is why would you replace a communicating thermostat with a nest? It's a serious downgrade.

Your G wire at the furnace doesn't appear to be seated correctly.

PS. You've swapped the colour codes. Generally White is for W and Green is for G.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Your nest will provide inferior comfort compared to the communicating t-stat - especially as wired, to not control the heat stages.

The communicating stat only 4 wires can slow blower down to improve dehumidification on demand in a/c mode, adjust continues fan airflow, give error code information.

To fix all your issues, put the communicating t-stat back on and change the wiring back.

Wifi remote control is very much gimmicky - the only real benefit I see is logging and monitoring abilities. Who cares if it is a little uncomfortable for a few hours after being away and you have to wait for it to heat up or cool down?

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
I would suggest returning to the old thermostat. Your new Nest is a dumpster fire of constant problems and issues.
You'll have to run a common wire as even though they claim one isn’t needed, it is. Not having a common will amplify the issues you’ll experience with the Nest.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
I would suggest returning to the old thermostat. Your new Nest is a dumpster fire of constant problems and issues.
You'll have to run a common wire as even though they claim one isn’t needed, it is. Not having a common will amplify the issues you’ll experience with the Nest.
Too bad the marketing is still working - people are still buying them, just like 1" 3m allergen filters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts