DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an outdoor neon sign on my patio that is wired to what used to be the patio light. I leave the sign's transformer switch in the ON position and use the patio light wall switch to turn it ON and OFF. However, nine times out of ten the sign simply flashes ON for an instant and remains off. I have to turn the wall switch OFF and back ON again, and again, and again, until finally the neon sign stays ON. And I can hear a faint arc sound when the neon light flashes without staying lit. Once it's finally ON, everything is fine.

If I leave the wall switch in the ON position and use the pull switch on the sign's transformer, it turns ON and OFF perfectly, every time, without fail.

Does anyone know what is going on? And/or how to resolve the issue?

·
Super Moderator
22,027 Posts
The power supply has more parts in than just a transformer. There may be parts inside that need to charge up before the light comes on.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have an outdoor neon sign on my patio that is wired to what used to be the patio light. I leave the sign's transformer switch in the ON position and use the patio light wall switch to turn it ON and OFF. However, nine times out of ten the sign simply flashes ON for an instant and remains off. I have to turn the wall switch OFF and back ON again, and again, and again, until finally the neon sign stays ON. And I can hear a faint arc sound when the neon light flashes without staying lit. Once it's finally ON, everything is fine.

If I leave the wall switch in the ON position and use the pull switch on the sign's transformer, it turns ON and OFF perfectly, every time, without fail.

Does anyone know what is going on? And/or how to resolve the issue?
Try changing the wall switch. It could be bad or there may be a loose connection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts