DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that different countries have different standards for mains electricity, outlets, voltages, cycles per second, wiring codes, etc. but I have a question. I have read on some other web forum and YouTube comments on electrical related videos alleging that the British standard, 240VAC, larger outlets and plugs, fused according to amperage are safer than the American/Canadian standard.

Is this true?

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
It's debatable. I think it's probably true that the European connectors are safer for the user, but I also think the Euro connectors are over-engineered, too bulky and expensive for their purpose, and not worth it. I think the NEMA connectors are a good balance of functionality, practicality, safety, and cost.

·
JOATMON
16,742 Posts
Well....having lived there.....and my wife is English......I hate their plugs....

With that said....there are a couple of 'features' that make them a bit safer...

Many of the plugs have fuses in them sized for the device they are wired to....and many of the wall plates have switchs on them so you can turn off the power at the wall plate.

Yes, the UK uses 240Vac @ 50hz. Yes, the wire can be smaller....but it also 'hurts' a lot more when you get a hold of it.

Do the fuses in the plug make it safer? Doubt it. If a problem is blowing the fuse in the connector....chances are it would trip the breaker too. Besides, those fuses are really small and it's a PIA to replace one.

If anything is better...it's the switches on the wall plug. You will find a good majority of the folk there will actually turn off the wall plug if the item is not being used. My x-b!itch was from Scotland....every night she would turn off the switch that the TV was plugged in to. It was like the didn't trust the TV to be plugged in when not in use.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is NO need to cut off the power supply to TVs or home theater components when they are not in use, firstly, the money that is to be saved on "energy efficiency" is negligible because standby power is very miniscule, especially with older sets that don't utilize IC chips for time settings. Secondly, frequently turning on and off it's power supply can stress the components of the TV, VCR, DVD, Blu Ray, surround sound, etc. especially the power transformers. Lastly, leaving TVs and home theater components plugged in does not pose a fire hazard of any kind as long as the wiring to the outlet and the outlet itself is clean and in good physical shape, and the circuit boards of the home theater components are not riddled with dust.

People are so paranoid about saving every single penny. :censored:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts