DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a FIAT 500e recently. With LEVEL1 charger (120v), it takes around 13 to 16 hours for a full charge. This is too long. I just bought an Ebusbar LEVEL 2 charger which has a NEMA 10-30P plug with 2 hots and a neutral. I'm trying to install a new 240v outlet that this can plug into. My electrical panel has a double 110v 15a circuit breaker that is currently connected to an old heater. The heater has been removed and I may be able to use this 220v 15a circuit for my LEVEL2 Ebusbar charger. There is a 12/2 wire that is currently connected to this 220v 15a - this wire was connected to the old heater that has been removed. This 12/2 wire has 2 hots and a ground (silver), but no neutral. The NEMA 10-30P however has 2 hots and a neutral.

My question: In the 240v outlet box that I'll be installing, can I use the existing 12/2 wire and connect the silver ground wire to the neutral? Is it safe to do this? Will the charger work if I do this, or do I need to install new wiring (10/3 or 12/3 with neutral) from the electrical panel?

I hope my question is clear... Hope to hear your answer... Thank you

Ashok

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
NO, you will NOT be able to use the #12 for a 30A circuit. Also, you say the ground is silver??? Is this smaller wiring aluminum? If so then that #12 is only good for a 15A circuit maximum, and in reality should NOT be re-used for anything.

First off, let's confirm the electrical requirement for the charger. A 10-30R receptacle and circuit would not be legal to use in a new installation. That is a 120/240V non-grounding receptacle used for older electric dryers. Why they would use that for a new appliance is beyond me.
Please, tell us the exact input specs for this charger.

·
JW
428 Posts
You do not need a neutral for any 240V EVSE that I've ever seen.

EVSE is considered a continuous load, which requires the conductors and breaker to be sized at 125% of the amperage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi Speedy,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes, the ground wire on 12/2 is small aluminium. Here's some info I got online on the charger:

• 3x faster than your level 1 charger
  • Voltage 240V and current 16A output power 3.8kw
  • Plug type NEMA 10-30P which is compatible with dryer's outlet
  • Reliable design including water proof, leakage protection, overvoltage protection, overcurrent protection
  • Good for Nissan Leaf, Chevrolet Volt, Toyota Prius, Fiat 500E and all other plug-in evs
  • Manufacturer Part NumberBEV-H02A10/16-5G-010
  • Amperage: 16A
Thank you for your help.

Ashok

·
7,829 Posts
I get the impression that they include the 10-30P so it can be used with an older dryer circuit. This is not smart IMO since it is not the intended usage for that circuit.

Technically this can be wired to a 20A/240V circuit since it is just under 16A draw.
You say the "ground" is a smaller AL wire? Is this AC/BX cable? If so that wire is not a ground but a bond for the metallic sheathing and does not need to be connected to anything.

So, all that said, if that old heater circuit really is 12/2 copper wiring, and is AC/BX cable, you CAN use it for this charger circuit. You would need a two-pole 20A breaker. That is unless the instructions specifically call for a 30A breaker, in which case you'd need #10 and a 30A.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Speedy appreciate all your help. The cable is REYNOLDS ALUMINEX 12AL/2 with GROUND TYPE NM. All the feeds in the house are Aluminium. Do you suggest we install Cu wiring?

·
7,829 Posts
Thank you Speedy appreciate all your help. The cable is REYNOLDS ALUMINEX 12AL/2 with GROUND TYPE NM. All the feeds in the house are Aluminium. Do you suggest we install Cu wiring?
Absolutely!!

Older smaller NM cable like what you have (#12 & #10) were the problematic cables.

I 100% suggest you not touch anything existing and run new cabling for anything you do.

Reactions: Jump-start

·
Registered
435 Posts
if the 12-2 is truly aluminum then it's only good for 15 amps. defintely would pull a new COPPER line too it. sounds like it may need a 30 amp circuit, says you use with existing dryer circuit ,which is a 30 amp circuit. so i would pull a 10-2w/g, put on a 30 amp double pole breaker. then use the correct receptacle.:smile::smile::smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Speedy,

Thanks a lot for all your help. Okay, I'll run new cabling with a new GFCI certified 20A breaker. Currently I have the Zensco 220v 15A breaker which is not GFCI certified. Thank you for your valuable advice.

Ashok

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.