DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing 3 new passage doors. They are actually going to be installed directly below the main support beam through the center of the house in the basement. the rough opening height is 75- 3/4" so we need to make new frames and we also have to cut the doors down which we got slabs for. one of the doors will open over carpet one door will open over a concrete floor the one door will open over a laminate floor. The carpet and laminate flooring are not installed yet and won't be for a while. Here are my questions.
1. How high off the concrete (floor) should each jamb be?
2. How high off the floor should each door be?
3. How far down from the top of the door and how far up from the bottom of the door do I place 2 of the hinges? I will center the third between the 2.
4. How far up on the door do I set the door knob?
5. When making the frame I was going to make it 3/16" wider then door. So my 32" door (31-3/4") frame would be 31-15/16" wide inside measurement. Is that correct?
Thanks in advance for your expertise.

·
Registered
730 Posts
1. For carpet, leave the jambs up 3/8. For laminate use whatever the laminate thickness is. If you don't know, just drop them on to the concrete and cut them off later, if you have the tools.
2. Usually about 5/8 to 3/4 off of finished floor.
3. There is no standard here. Different manufacturers use different numbers. Maybe 6" from top and bottom, center the middle one. Go to a box store and measure them.
4. Not sure on this one. 36" maybe?
5. Sounds a little tight to me. Maybe more like 5/16". Might get away with tighter if the door is beveled slightly.

·
retired framer
44,530 Posts
Hinges are usually around 7" from top and bottom and the centered.

If you have the slab door, you build the jam 1/4" wider than the slab.

If the jams are 5/8" that would leave you close to 1/2" for shims.

The knob is 36" from the bottom but may not look right with a short door??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts