DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello electrician experts,

I think I have a non-issue, but I'd like to double check with the pros. I was drilling through the celling above one of the garage door openers and just so happened to mangle most of my garage door switch wiring. This is the wiring that connects from the garage door opener to the wall switch.

There's 4 wires that i need to splice. These are really small buggers. Smaller than 20 gauge I think.

Basically, I plan to bring one of the broken wires into Lowes and grab some extra and then some of those "button" insulated connectors.

The splice will be laying directly in insulation. Because this is a switch wire, there is nothing to be alarmed about?

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
That is low voltage wire---so no junction box is required---

An electrician will hang me if I am wrong----Mike---

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
That is low voltage wire---so no junction box is required---
Correct. A required box for splicing is not referenced. Only 300.15 reference is for a bushing on conduit sleeved for protection and not applicable to OP

2014 NEC

725.3 Other Articles. Circuits and equipment shall comply
with the articles or sections listed in 725.3(A) through
(J). Only those sections of Article 300 referenced in this
article shall apply to Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 circuits.

J) Bushing. A bushing shall be installed where cables
emerge from raceway used for mechanical support or
protection in accordance with 300.15(C).

300.15(C) Protection. A box or conduit body shall not be required
where cables enter or exit from conduit or tubing
that is used to provide cable support or protection against
physical damage. A fitting shall be provided on the end(s)
of the conduit or tubing to protect the cable from abrasion.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Let me add:
1. Unplug you GDO's before you begin. It's low voltage, but a ladder is not a good place to be startled if the GDO unexpectedly starts. :surprise:
2. Your drill bit likely put a lot of stress on the wire. Consider just completely replacing both runs. Not much additional cost or labor.
A. If you do splice a section of new wire, cut each end of each old wire back about 3'. Conductor strands could be broken inside inside the insulation resulting in intermittent operation.
B. Twist and solder those splices and they will last forever.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I usually would solder something like this, but I don't think I feel comfortable soldering in the attic...

·
Licensed electrician
13,405 Posts
Small wire nuts or beanie connectors would be fine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I went to lowes and they only had 20 gauge wire. It's slightly bigger than the actual original wire. I also got some small wing nuts.

Proceed?

·
Licensed electrician
13,405 Posts
Bigger wires are not an issue.

·
Registered
708 Posts
"small wing nuts"

afaik the smallest wing nut is yellow and yellow is too big for those small wires. You need blue or gray..

actually I'm not sure that even gray wire nuts will work.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The ones I purchased are white. Really small.
I never seen or heard of a winged wire nut that is white and very very small. Can you show me a picture or give me the link to the listing on lowe's site? :vs_worry:
The smallest I've seen are gray ones. Are you sure you didn't confuse the white with gray?

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,845 Posts
I never seen or heard of a winged wire nut that is white and very very small. Can you show me a picture or give me the link to the listing on lowe's site? :vs_worry:
The smallest I've seen are gray ones. Are you sure you didn't confuse the white with gray?
Why do you think he needs a winged wire but?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
All they need are Butt Connectors and Doorbell wire. Any hardware store has the parts. Auto store would have the connectors if the big box is out. Also can just order from Partsexpress.com the wire and connectors and get them by Tuesday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts