DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for your help. My mother has a walkable roof on a ranch, approximately 1500 sq. ft. in area. 2 roofs are on there now. She has 1/2" sheeting. One small area of the roof seems "soft" but I see no rot,water,damage,etc. when I check out the roof from inside the attic. If roof is replaced (with tear-off,obviously) does she need to replace sheeting? Or is 1/2" plywood a standard code? Thanks
P.S. I do not know how to measure the slope or I would include that data.

·
Framing Contractor
1,512 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "soft". It could be that there are several layers of shingles, or the plywood may indeed be bad. When they do the tearoff, they can inspect it and make that determination. Most roofing companies will include a clause for replacing areas of sheathing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replace sheeting

SixEighteen: thanks for your quick reply. I was on the roof the other day putting a ridge vent in and noticed that one area "gave" more than the rest of the roof. Since the sheeting looks ok from the inside, i am hoping it is just the 1st roof aging. I believe that a tear off will eliminate a lot of weight and possibly cure that malady.Thanks for your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts