DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a pregnant wife and toddler at home. Thus I’m trying to minimize disturbing the paint as little as possible.

The good news is, as far as I can tell, the hardware doesn’t seem to be painted over with lead paint but I know for a fact the door, jamb and casing are. The lead paint is under at least one coat of latex.

At the moment my plan is to lay 6mm plastic around the bathroom and extending a bit into the room. From there I can either using a chemical stripper around the hinges or carefully use a razor blade to perforate the borders of the hinges and then unscrew. My worry is how much will I be disturbing the paint during this process.

Advice and insight appreciated!

Wood Rectangle Material property Gas Beige

Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring Gas

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Edit...
Misunderstood... I assume the Door and frame are lead painted.
If you are just taking the door off and removing the frame, I would just wet the hinges and the door around them, remove the screws, take door outside.
Then wet the frame and trim where you are disturbing them, razorblade score the trim from the wall, and remove trim and frame, and place outside. Wet anything that will break snap or disturb the lead paint.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edit...
Misunderstood... I assume the Door and frame are lead painted.
If you are just taking the door off and removing the frame, I would just wet the hinges and the door around them, remove the screws, take door outside.
Then wet the frame and trim where you are disturbing them, razorblade score the trim from the wall, and remove trim and frame, and place outside. Wet anything that will break snap or disturb the lead paint.
thanks. frankly, i was hoping to not have to remove the frame and trim if possible. the reason i am removing the door is because right now it rubs. i figured if i replace the door with a new one (sans multuple layers of paint), i should be OK from a friction standpoint.

further, i have plaster walls so it's always a gamble when removing old trim.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
thanks. frankly, i was hoping to not have to remove the frame and trim if possible. the reason i am removing the door is because right now it rubs. i figured if i replace the door with a new one (sans multuple layers of paint), i should be OK from a friction standpoint.

further, i have plaster walls so it's always a gamble when removing old trim.
Is this the only lead painted stuff (one door and frame) in the home?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this the only lead painted stuff (one door and frame) in the home?
no. we've already had the most used 5 doors and frames replaced; 2 exterior and 3 interior (to the tune of $5K!!!!) and, though the company was RRP/abatement certified they didn't follow the rules.

the others are either not rubbing or we haven't been closing them. this one is a bathroom door so not closing it isn't exactly ideal.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
no. we've already had the most used 5 doors and frames replaced; 2 exterior and 3 interior (to the tune of $5K!!!!) and, though the company was RRP/abatement certified they didn't follow the rules.

the others are either not rubbing or we haven't been closing them. this one is a bathroom door so not closing it isn't exactly ideal.
There are Lead Encapsulation paints, I believe LeadX is one.
I have no experience with them, of course removal is ideal.

Perhaps someone else has experience with them...

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
As long as no one inhales any dust from the lead paint (easily avoided - don't sand it), and you clean up any paint chips before the little one eats them, you don't have a problem. As far as the frame and trim, just be sure to keep a coat of latex over it so that it's not exposed to be touched, and it's safe to stay in place.

·
Usually Confused
9,151 Posts
Where is the door rubbing. Everything looks pretty old from the pics so things may have settled. If the frame is out of square, any new door may have the same issue. A modern door may not be the same thickness as the (very) old one; in which case you may have a problem with the stop trim.

·
Contractor/Engineer
2,427 Posts
So your only concern is the amount of dust created from unscrewing the painted hinges? Respectfully, you're being freakin' nutty. Lead isn't nearly that dangerous. Not even close.
He's married...and has a kid...and one on the way...

I have a feeling he's receiving strong "local" encouragement from "sources" other than this forum!

Yes @mathmonger , if you or me, we'd probably score the trim, cut the nails holding the jamb to the studs and pull the entire door out in one piece -->> and out the window onto the driveway!
Automotive lighting Gas Font Automotive exterior Event

Reactions: Steve2444

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As long as no one inhales any dust from the lead paint (easily avoided - don't sand it), and you clean up any paint chips before the little one eats them, you don't have a problem. As far as the frame and trim, just be sure to keep a coat of latex over it so that it's not exposed to be touched, and it's safe to stay in place.
Thanks. Wouldn’t removing the door and screwing in a new one generate dust - even if a small amount?
Where is the door rubbing. Everything looks pretty old from the pics so things may have settled. If the frame is out of square, any new door may have the same issue. A modern door may not be the same thickness as the (very) old one; in which case you may have a problem with the stop trim.
it was rubbing against the stop in the bottom photo (see where i added some mud to patch the chips it created).

i'm thinking the rubbing is largely due to how many layers of poorly applied paint have been slapped onto the door.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So your only concern is the amount of dust created from unscrewing the painted hinges? Respectfully, you're being freakin' nutty. Lead isn't nearly that dangerous. Not even close.
lead isn't that dangerous to adults. it is incredibly dangerous to pregnant women and toddlers and that's an indisputable fact.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
If you are going to reuse the hinges, just pull the pins, take the door outside and remove that half of the hinge outside.
I would do that anyway, and then take care removing the half in the frame, if you are using new hinges.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
lead isn't that dangerous to adults. it is incredibly dangerous to pregnant women and toddlers and that's an indisputable fact.
That's true. It is incredibly dangerous. But it isn't THHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTTT dangerous.

I'm a professional handyman. I do small jobs like this very routinely. All the houses around here have lead paint all over the place - including my own. I have kids. I have done a ton of research on this. I have spent a lot of time thinking about it. I get tested. My kids get tested. Nobody has ever had more than 2 (which is as low as the test goes). My 8yo finished the 8th grade math curriculum and is starting to learn trigonometry.

A little awareness and caution is a good thing, but if you are worrying about the lead from taking off a lousy door hinge, you have completely lost perspective.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Your best bet would be to take the On_Line Lead Safety Training for construction.
You will have all the info & requirements related to working on items containing Lead.
You can use any or all of the info as you see fit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts