DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pretending to be Retired
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Freeze Proof Woodford Yard Faucet next to my potting shed. I'm in the process of filling in the area where the faucet is located, and when done the faucet will be about 3 feet to low. Is there a easy way to raise this freeze proof faucet? Can I just buy a longer stem and extend the outer galvanized pipe? Or should I just go ahead now and dig it up and replace it with a longer version?

What would you do?

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Agreed. Buy a new self-draining yard hydrant and it won't need to be frost/freeze proof. You'll have to dig up what's there and thread the new hydrant into whatever supplies the existing faucet.:)

·
Pretending to be Retired
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The downside to installing a new one is digging 3 feet down right next to the 12 x 30 foot potting/storage shed. The other problem is if I do dig up the old one, I will probably want to move the location of the hydrant. That would mean trenching about 25 feet to get it closer to the tractor barn. Oh, problems problems problems.

Thanks Guys for the input.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just do it, you will be happy with it being done right. If you dont want to dig call a Boy scout Troop they always need money, you'll feel great twice that day.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Check on the unit for the manufacturer. If you contact them, I would imagine they sell kits to raise them, just like normal fire hydrants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts