DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone........

Its that time of year again here in good old Wisconsin where we will shortly be dealing with that good old salt and sand mixture that our lovely county hwy department puts down for ice control.

My issue is that when we pull our van into the garage, and all the lovely snow, salt and sand drops off and melts, it runs towards the wall in the garage that is a common wall with the interior of the house. I currently have damaged drywall from all of the snow from the last couple of years.

I am pretty sure the garage was added on after the house was built. There is no drain in the middle of the floor so there is nope slope in that respect and all of the melted snow runs to the wall.

What products, if any, are out there that I might be able to use to try and save this drywall?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,242 Posts
As stated cement board.

There used to be a roll of material, made to put at the joints between the wall and floor, of a " mudroom", that was about 4 inches high, and stopped the intrusion of wetness.

I have forgotten it's proper name, but you see it lining the walls of public restrooms, and showers at the GYM, and other places that get a lot of water on the floors.

ED

·
retired painter
9,885 Posts
Normally drywall is set 1/2" above the floor so it doesn't wick up moisture.
I agree replacing the bottom portion [6" is probably enough] with something impervious from moisture would be best. Bare minimum would be to paint the drywall with latex enamel.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
How about some vinyl base molding stuck along the bottom of the garage wall, with clear silicone caulk to seal it to the concrete?

Does your garage floor have any slope?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts