DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently my power line runs over my flat roof which leaks. I want to change the roof to a pitched roof, which would mean the power line must be moved in one way or another. I could relocate my fuse panel (which I recently did when I upgraded my fuse panel, but did not foresee this problem). I could change to underground line which would cost a minimum $1000, and that assumes they can get by the tree roots - this is not preferred because of the possibly of trees dying then falling on house, a very real possibility.

my third idea, which is where I have the questions. Can I have my power line attached to my garage and then go the house from there. its only about 30 +/- feet apart. I would do this under ground.

also if I can do this. would I need a panel in the garage and then the house would be considered a sub-panel.
any other ideas or help would be grateful. thanks in advance.

·
Licensed electrician
13,377 Posts
You will need to check with your power company to see where the line can be locsted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have they are the ones that gave me the under ground option, but stated the trees could very well be a big problem ( this is a northern cabin ). when I asked about the garage option, he said may be possible but they prefer to attach directly to the house "when possible".
I guess I'm trying to figuring to out where or how to look it up in the codes

·
Super Moderator
20,885 Posts
Can you attach it the side of the flat roof that is closer to the power supply. Then the line doesn't go over the roof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if I attached there it would mean moving my fuse panel (again), and it would be right over our deck which we use a lot and often put up a screened tent on. I'm afraid this would make our deck almost unusable for us.

·
Super Moderator
20,885 Posts
No need to move the breaker panel. Just install main disconnect and feed the existing panel as a sub panel. They make meter bases with built in disconnects.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks joed, ill look into that. but can I put that main disconnect in the garage so that I don't have to go over my deck??

·
Super Moderator
20,885 Posts
Can you post a picture of the area. How does moving it into the garage avoid going over the deck?
The first disconnect need to be within 5-10 feet after the unfused service conductors enter the building. In the garage would be fine.
The meter would have to go where the POCO says. Inside is not usually an option.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You might want to ask the power company if they are willing to put a "yard pole" in your yard, so that the service drop can be routed around the house. Might be expensive, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to answer your questions.

1. this is my cabin house or second home, so pics would take time to get, how ever I did a rough sketch - not to scale. but will hopefully help.

2. yard pole - won't work. hard to explain but it comes down to having a cement patio and fire pit in front of house.

3. the garage is to the front right side of the house. power comes from rt side. this area with the flat roof is the entryway to the house. to the rt is a large deck.
I'm would be bringing power line across the front of the house, connect to the garage then go to house. hope that makes since.

now hopefully. my final question. after coming down the wall of the garage and connect to a meter and/or disconnect can I then keep going down underground and over to my houses fuse panel. or is it necessary for me to take the power into the garage first, and then would the house be considered a sub-panel or main.
or am I just over thinking this whole thing

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,885 Posts
If you can stay outside the house with the wires after the meter you won't need the disconnect at the meter. Code only allows for 5-10 feet of unfused conductors INSIDE the house. That is why a disconnect was suggested.
Underground should not be an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts