DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Love to DIY
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basement Wall issue. The parging in various spots in my basement have been falling off for some time now. It seems that there was a lot of sand in the mixture when it was originally put on. I'm not sure what type of product to use to patch the walls with.

Should I use a fast setting cement meant for vertical walls, a fast setting concrete mix, or something else. I was told that adding in some tapcon screws to the wall would help with the new patches but not sure if that is needed.

Some areas are would need 1-3 inches of concrete and others maybe 1/2 inch.
I'll most likely go over it with a basement waterproofer. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
You don't need tapcons. But if you want a stand up job pressure wash all of that to have a clean surface to stucco it up.

You can probably buy bags of pre-mixed portland cement stucco at the big box stores that would work.

And while you are there get yourself a sponge float.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
What are the walls constructed of?
In the photo it appears that it has sea shells in the walls?
The make up of the wall will determine what mortar you should use.
Also your general location would help like are you near a coast line?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
The best material that you can use would be an NHL (natural Hydraulic lime) & being it is below grade you should use NHL-5.
If you use a cement product containing Portland cement the product is to dense to be used over the more porous wall surface.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Interesting. So the NHL allows the wall to breathe and doesn't trap the moisture. Would it be ok to use a waterproofer on top of the NHL?
You are correct the NHL will permit water to migrate.
As for water proofing on the NHL I think it may depend on what type water proofing is used? You don't want to trap water between the waterproofing & the NHL.
You may want to call Xypex & ask if their water proofing will work under the NHL with out trapping the water in the wall. Phone # 604-273-5265.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.