DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

need to cover a hole with a tile

6535 Views 12 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  HotRodx10
This chat site has helped me tremendously with replacing an old sink. I have one final problem I need to take care of. I need to place a tile over the hole in the picture.

Sometime in the next 18 months we will redo the tiling in the bathroom but until that time I need to cover the hole with something white. The bathroom tiles are old probably from the 1930s so have aged and even have this kind of minute cracking going on. I have an extra and thought I could place it over the hole.

1) How would I adhere a tile to the tiles to cover the hole. What would i use?
2) Is there some way I could fill the hole leaving it flush and that would withstand a lot splashing of water?
Thanks.
Andy

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Either thinset (tile mortar) or PL Premium would hold a tile in place. Put some PL Premium around the edge of the hole for a strong connection.

Or you can put a cover plate over it. They sell various sizes. I would attach with PL Premium in an upside down U pattern, so that if any water got behind it, the water could readily drain out.

Not too thick --- PL Premium expands as it cures.

Attachments

See less See more
One of these? Electrical blank round, Clue on with Power Grab

See less See more
In more than one application to facilitate drying I would simply fill it with plain white unsanded grout. First coat would be to fill any voids.
Reactions: 1
In more than one application to facilitate drying I would simply fill it with plain white unsanded grout. First coat would be to fill any voids.
Thanks. I can see how after several applications I could get the grout to be flush with the tile, but wouldn't I then need to put some kind of glazing or waterproof shield on it so that we can clean the area? I guess glossy paint might work but is there another product? This is my teenagers bathroom so there will be soap and stuff splattering all over that wall.
Properly mixed grout (not excess watery) will be water resistant and should last a couple of years.

If you want to do this the hard way make a tracing of the hole, buy a tile and cut it slightly smaller than the opening, set it and grout.

It appears to be behind a lavatory faucet. Unless you kid is extra sloppy packing tape should work for 6 months at a time.

You indicated a short term fix. If that wasn't accurate then other options exist for a better look.
You indicated a short term fix. If that wasn't accurate then other options exist for a better look.
You can get tape in white, too. :)
Properly mixed grout (not excess watery) will be water resistant and should last a couple of years.

If you want to do this the hard way make a tracing of the hole, buy a tile and cut it slightly smaller than the opening, set it and grout.

It appears to be behind a lavatory faucet. Unless you kid is extra sloppy packing tape should work for 6 months at a time.

Yes it's a lavatory sink.
I'm handy but I can't imagine ever successfully cut a tile to anything that size. Years ago I tried getting tricky and it did not go well.

We'll be redoing all the tiling 12-18 months from now ... so would want something to look nice (i.e. no tape)
To last a year and a half? Why not just draw a circle of 100% silicone caulk around the hole and stick the/a tile on it? Clamp with blue tape and a wedge behind the faucet for 24 hours.
"2) Is there some way I could fill the hole leaving it flush and that would withstand a lot splashing of water?"
- Thin set, tile or grout are not water proof.
"2) Is there some way I could fill the hole leaving it flush and that would withstand a lot splashing of water?"
- Thin set, tile or grout are not water proof.

Nothing will stand up to immersion. Sealed grout will stand up to splashed for at least a couple of years.
I also did this kind of thing at one of my aunts house. Or you can try out white cement which might help as well
If you want it to look decent, I suggest reconsidering colbyt's approach with a tile that will cover the hole. You can cut the tile with an abrasive cutting disc on a Dremel. It will take a little time, but shouldn't be too difficult to do. You'll want a regular shaped hole, regardless of how you patch it, it you want it to look decent.

The only other way I can think that wouldn't look like an obvious patch job, is to patch it smooth with white plaster, mask off a regular shape around it, and spray paint it with a gloss white enamel.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.