DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This chat site has helped me tremendously with replacing an old sink. I have one final problem I need to take care of. I need to place a tile over the hole in the picture.

Sometime in the next 18 months we will redo the tiling in the bathroom but until that time I need to cover the hole with something white. The bathroom tiles are old probably from the 1930s so have aged and even have this kind of minute cracking going on. I have an extra and thought I could place it over the hole.

1) How would I adhere a tile to the tiles to cover the hole. What would i use?
2) Is there some way I could fill the hole leaving it flush and that would withstand a lot splashing of water?
Thanks.
Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Either thinset (tile mortar) or PL Premium would hold a tile in place. Put some PL Premium around the edge of the hole for a strong connection.

Or you can put a cover plate over it. They sell various sizes. I would attach with PL Premium in an upside down U pattern, so that if any water got behind it, the water could readily drain out.

Not too thick --- PL Premium expands as it cures.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
In more than one application to facilitate drying I would simply fill it with plain white unsanded grout. First coat would be to fill any voids.

Reactions: 123pugsy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In more than one application to facilitate drying I would simply fill it with plain white unsanded grout. First coat would be to fill any voids.
Thanks. I can see how after several applications I could get the grout to be flush with the tile, but wouldn't I then need to put some kind of glazing or waterproof shield on it so that we can clean the area? I guess glossy paint might work but is there another product? This is my teenagers bathroom so there will be soap and stuff splattering all over that wall.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Properly mixed grout (not excess watery) will be water resistant and should last a couple of years.

If you want to do this the hard way make a tracing of the hole, buy a tile and cut it slightly smaller than the opening, set it and grout.

It appears to be behind a lavatory faucet. Unless you kid is extra sloppy packing tape should work for 6 months at a time.

You indicated a short term fix. If that wasn't accurate then other options exist for a better look.

Reactions: huesmann

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Properly mixed grout (not excess watery) will be water resistant and should last a couple of years.

If you want to do this the hard way make a tracing of the hole, buy a tile and cut it slightly smaller than the opening, set it and grout.

It appears to be behind a lavatory faucet. Unless you kid is extra sloppy packing tape should work for 6 months at a time.

You indicated a short term fix. If that wasn't accurate then other options exist for a better look.
Yes it's a lavatory sink.
I'm handy but I can't imagine ever successfully cut a tile to anything that size. Years ago I tried getting tricky and it did not go well.

We'll be redoing all the tiling 12-18 months from now ... so would want something to look nice (i.e. no tape)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
"2) Is there some way I could fill the hole leaving it flush and that would withstand a lot splashing of water?"
- Thin set, tile or grout are not water proof.

Nothing will stand up to immersion. Sealed grout will stand up to splashed for at least a couple of years.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
If you want it to look decent, I suggest reconsidering colbyt's approach with a tile that will cover the hole. You can cut the tile with an abrasive cutting disc on a Dremel. It will take a little time, but shouldn't be too difficult to do. You'll want a regular shaped hole, regardless of how you patch it, it you want it to look decent.

The only other way I can think that wouldn't look like an obvious patch job, is to patch it smooth with white plaster, mask off a regular shape around it, and spray paint it with a gloss white enamel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.