DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Enormous Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a 3br cookie-cutter 50's ranch.

I currently have one large baseboard register (30x8 inch, maybe) in the center of the house in a hallway and one in the livingroom (16 x 8) None of the bedrooms have returns. The house is about 1500 sq ft. I currently get negative pressure issues when the blower is running.

So, here's my current plan:

Close up the hallway return and add a smaller return on the opposite side of the wall in one bedroom and then add two more returns, each on the opposite sides of the wall that separates the other two bedrooms.

Seems pretty straightforward to me, but I have a few questions.

I was considering doing a dual return setup in each return where the floor register would have a flap-style damper and then mount an open grille higher, towards the ceiling. That way, in the winter I could draw cold air in from the floor and in the summer, close the dampers and draw hot air from the ceiling. Is this worth doing? and where can I find these flap-style dampered returns? I checked at my local big-box home improvement store and they didn't have any.

Also, is there a rule of thumb on how far apart returns should be on the same wall to avoid being able to hear what's going on in the other room?

Are there any tip/tricks to adding a return to an existing wall?

·
Administrator
42,397 Posts
Don't close off the hallway return. Just add the ones in the bedrooms, your system will thank you for it.

·
Naildriver
17,060 Posts
We don't know WHAT he has, so we can't make assumptions. Making back-to-back returns will negate any privacy in those rooms. The returns should be matched to the supplies as well. We need more information.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Or cut the doors off to allow proper ventilation to the existing returns as the system was designed.
Best Practises up here is to have a 5/8 or 3/4 gap under the door for rooms without a return air vent.

·
Administrator
42,397 Posts
We don't know WHAT he has, so we can't make assumptions. Making back-to-back returns will negate any privacy in those rooms. The returns should be matched to the supplies as well. We need more information.
Never said to make them back to back returns. Under cutting the doors also negates privacy.

While we don't know what he has. Hopefully, you realize that the return sizes he listed is a bare minimum for 2 tons/800 CFM. At a high static pressure.

If he does have more then a 2 ton system, now is the time to correct the return issue, instead of just moving the returns. If he only has a 2 ton system, it will still thank him for the additional returns. And is only slightly more work.

Reactions: chandler48
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.