DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Too Much DIY!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question relates to my pressure washer wand, but I'm asking it in Plumbing because I think you folks may have more insight about it. See the attached images. I need to remove the chrome wand from the handle, but I'd like to do it without destroying the chrome finish on the wand. In other words, I am trying to avoid cinching the chrome tube with vise-grips or a bench vise. With an old inner tube, I already tried to wrap the pipe with rubber and cinch it with vise-grips and then also a pipe wrench. Both attempts failed though, since the tool doesn't grip hard enough with the rubber cushion. I am contemplating making a jig as shown in my CAD image. The red colored object would wooden to hopefully grip the pipe along its length. I wonder if having this additional surface area held tightly would help. What ideas can you folks share?

Attachments

·
Too Much DIY!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you trying to remove the chrome from the plastic sleeve around it, or from the handgrip/trigger?
Sorry, I suppose I wasn't clear about that. I'm actually trying to leave the plastic sleeve in place, but remove the chrome from the black trigger handle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
What brand is it? Go to their website and find your model and look for a parts page. I believe that it will show an exploded view so you can see how it's attached.

·
Too Much DIY!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What brand is it? Go to their website and find your model and look for a parts page. I believe that it will show an exploded view so you can see how it's attached.
Thank you kindly for chiming in. However, it's a very simple connection that I already have understanding of. It's a male pipe thread, screwed into the female brass nut. This is something that would be seen on many urinals or shower nozzles. So I want to separate the two without marring the chrome finish.

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
If you don't want to destroy the chrome finish, wrap it with a piece of scrap leather, clamp a vise grip around the leather, and go to town.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts