DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need support on possibly questionable installation of furnace.

2523 Views 72 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  jukk0u
Just got a furnace installed after multiple "mess-ups" by the contractor. He never measured the hole the furnace needed to fit through and this we had to emergency request another person to cut a bigger whole and this is the work he left behind, ducts held up by electric wires and they took MY extension cord to wire the furnace?!?
Exposed wires next to thermostat and wire draped across wall. Smooshed ductwork behind water lines and joists. See pics for all issues. I'm by no means an HVAC tech, so maybe this is all okay, but it looks like crap to me...
I need to know if I have any ground to stand on the have some of this fixed , I appreciate the help.
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Fender Gas

Wood Gas Machine Metal Electrical supply

Building Wood Beam Wood stain House

Wood Gas Bumper Tints and shades Water

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Bumper

Kitchen appliance Home appliance Gadget Electronic device Gas

Fixture Gas Plumbing Nut Auto part

Wood Floor Gas Composite material Flooring

Wood Human leg Thigh Wire Automotive tire

Electricity Gas Composite material Electrical supply Fixture
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
Building my last home
5,530 Posts
Hope you did not pay them. Workmanship like that means a real fight is ahead for me.
I take it no permit was pulled.

File on his license, his bond what ever vehicle will cause pain. Know an attorney?

Sadly the duct which is decreased is a workmanship issue. When supported correctly the duct will be fine.
I hate seeing work like this. I have been in the trades for over 50 years and I do not allow work like that.

· Registered
7,590 Posts
Something isn’t right. Was this installed by an unlicensed person? Way too many red flags. Exposed t-stat wire. Can’t use an extension cord for permanent power. I’m a little surprised the unit is sitting on the floor, i would have expected a short stand to raise it up. What are the white pvc pipes out the top? I see a gas line (with a proper drip leg) so the pipes could be the flue?

· Registered
85 Posts
I’m a simple DIY-er, but I’d be embarrassed to call that mess my work. My work has always passed inspection when needed; I doubt that this would.

I’ve always heard not to used galvanized pipe with gas, yet that tee looks like galvanized. Maybe it’s just the lighting. Also, I didn’t think you were supposed to mix galvanized & black pipe.

And as someone else noted, that water heater flue can’t be right.

· Registered
381 Posts
It’s funny that hack did drip leg for gas pipe but used galvanized pipe for T. Also funny that he spend time to do fresh air intake pvc pipe but then cut huge hole around gas pipe and didn’t use rubber seal so air is just pulling from basement and that pvc pipe now worthless:)))

· Registered
8,855 Posts
I had to look twice. The cap on the end of the flue is correct, i assume you mean the pipe goes down, not up. Bad!
View attachment 720862
Yup, that collector is almost guaranteed to be spilling exhaust gases into that room.
And we haven’t even touched if that’s an orphaned water heater. Which would mean the liner/chimney is likely oversized.

· Registered
104 Posts
Also it looks like there’s only two 8” and one 6” supply ducts which is almost certainly not going to move enough air especially with the way the wireflex ducting was installed. Imagine what else we’d see wrong if we were actually there and not just looking at pictures of the job. The good news is this job would make a very good “before” picture for an actual HVAC companies website.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry for late reply, I work nights , The total cost was 4000 dollars. He bought everything, besides my extension cord he stole.
It's a Goodman 96% eff. Single stage furnace
My house is only 360 SQ ft
So there are 4 runs in total of that piping

This is a licensed mechanical contractor and plumber. I verified his license number on the Minnesota state website.
I will turned off the furnace went back to space heaters as I also thought air sucking in directly from the water heater was bad. I found even more issues last night aswell , stuff I'm certain is not up to code? Please note the dead bird they left in my warranty manual...
Bird Road surface Asphalt Floor Beak

Wood Floor Bumper Composite material Automotive exterior

Pipeline transport Plumbing fixture Wood Valve Plumbing valve

1 - 20 of 73 Posts