DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need suggestion on removing a wall from existing design

609 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  LawnGuyLandSparky
Hi i want to remove a wall from existing design of home. I need a architect or structural engineer to confirm from the layout attach, if i can remove this wall without making structural damage to the building.

Its 24 storey building, i live on 5th Floor.
Attaching a floor plan with wall marked.

Kindly give a detail explanation if possible, I need to get NOC from housing society for the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
14,584 Posts
At 24 stories it's not a timber structure, so unless you open the wall and find structural steel, or concrete, that wall is not load bearing. Can't imagine that wall being load bearing even if it was stick built.

Assume it's a condo building?

· Hammered Thumb
4,480 Posts
Anything is a wild guess, especially since construction methods vary outside the U.S. So I would be asking your "housing society" or maybe the building's maintenance manager has original construction drawings you can refer to. But it looks like a concrete flat-plate structure, so more than likely the black walls only bear per floor and don't support the structure.

Disregarding the fact of opening up the toilet room to the kitchen, this drawing may be only a pretty sales diagram depicting thin walls when they're not, and there might be pipes running through that wall. I do not see internal chases (only on the external side) for plumbing and cabling. You have 19 floors of pipes coming down past your space somewhere.

· Registered
11,194 Posts
You have 19 floors of pipes coming down past your space somewhere.
Most likely, 18 floors.

Sounds like the Europe (most likely UK), where they number floors/levels differently than the US. You have the ground floor, the next level up is the first floor. So in a 24 story building, the top floor would be the 23rd floor (not 24 as in the US).

In other words, (using the US system) he lives on what we would call the 6th floor of a 24 story building.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.