DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just registered. I figured this would be the perfect place to ask my question. I am trying to install an Intermatic GM40 time switch. I have an ice machine at my fishing camp, so to save electricity, I purchased this timer to control the power supply so that the machine comes on Thursday nights and goes off Sunday afternoons. I'm certainly no electrician, so please excuse my ignorance on this. I have mounted the timer next to my ice machine. The timer will only control one outlet (115). So, the object here is simple. I'm taking one wire feed, connecting the timer, then running a wire feed to the outlet to be controlled. As you will see from my pictures below, there is a buss at the bottom, and a wiring diagram. However, I don't have the capability to read this diagram. It is embarrasing, because it seems that it should be simple. Please review the following pictures and let me know where to feed the hot and neitral wires into the buss. Then, where I should tie in my outlet. Thanks for the help. I apprieciate it.

·
Electrical Contractor
1,054 Posts
The wire you're feeding it, take it to the common screw ( a jumper), the wire you want to feed your ice machine receptacle run that off of the NO (normally open) screw, be sure to feed a neutral to the time clock or the timer mottor wont work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I forgot to mention, the unit came with a jumper going from L1 to the common. Is this the jumper you're referring to?

·
Electrical Contractor
1,054 Posts
yes so just feed the time clock on L1(hot) and L2 neutral and the hot to your receptacle will come off of the NO contact (screw)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes so just feed the time clock on L1(hot) and L2 neutral and the hot to your receptacle will come off of the NO contact (screw)
And I'm guessing the neutral that feeds my outlet will come out of the L2 as well? Looks like the diagram combines them. Is this correct? Again, thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts