DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to wire some new can lights. I have run a new wire into a new double gang box. I would like to use the power from the existing light to switch the new can lights. It appears they ran power to light then to the existing switch. Can I tie into that and run power to the can lights? If so how? Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks in advanced. If you need more information let me know.

·
retired framer
44,530 Posts
You will have to take power from that light or run a 3 wire from the old light to the switch to get a neutral

·
1,342 Posts
You will not be able to power your new lights from the existing switch if it is a switch loop. Does the switch have the black and white wires connected to it? Of so then you have no neutral at the switch.

Did you want your new lights to be controlled by the existing switch? If that is the case you can power your new lights from any of the existing ones.

If your home is new enough and they used a 3 wire cable for the switch, then you have a neutral at the switch and easy peasy.

On a code note, if you are in Canada you can only have a total of 12 lights and/or receptacles on a circuit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts