DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had our roof re-done by a GAF certified Master Elite roofer recommended by our neighbor back in 2013.
The roof is leaking now and my neighbor who has exactly the same problem still prefers to go seek for help from the original roofer.
However, the original roofer was kind of slow due to the them busy so I seeked for other help.

And the prfessional opinion that I got was that there was that the damage was due to the animals (raccoons perhaps?) clawing through the rubber membrane.
However, the original roofer should have installed the metal flashing in the valley as indicated in the contract.

I told the neighbor the issue and he contacted the roofer, and the roofer said the following:

"When a roof area is less than 3/12 pitch like this specific valley, which is called "dead valley", we need to use a different membrane typical for low slopes, like an epdm membrane. This falls into our labor warranty and not GAF's.

My questions are:

1. Is the original roofer telling the truth?
2. What about the Eaves, skylights..etc?
3. For those who are familiar with GAF's Golden Pledge Warranty, are we still qualified for it given the installation the oringal roofer did in 2013?
4. What's the best way to provide the proper protection for the damaged valley?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, here's the inspection Video that I got, this should provide a clearer picture of what I am talking about

This is the video inspection report I received:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Interesting problem.
Here are a few thoughts in no particular order...

1. It certainly appears the roofer did not fulfill the contract.
2. The damage from the raccoon is certainly NOT covered by warranty.
3. I like metal valleys but not in the flat area.
4. I would have specified and used a flat roofing product in the flat valley
In my case that would have been a granule surface SBS product like
Tamco Awaplan
5. I always put an ice and water shield under a metal valley.
6. I don't always or even often put ice and water shield under a flat roofing
product because it shouldn't be necessary.
7. Shingles are a water shedding concept and need the ice and water shield
in certain locations
8. Flat roofing products are a water proof system and shouldn't need the
added protection.
9. In your case I would have put ice and water shield under the flat valley
because otherwise I would need to depend on ice and water shield to
adhere to the flat product. I wouldn't trust that so I would double down.
10. It shouldn't be that hard to verify whether the roofer was a GAF elite guy
or not. GAF should let you know.

I think you have a case damages even though a raccoon was the cause. BUT one never knows whether the raccoon would have done the same thing even if the contract was fulfilled.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
That's another new lesson.:surprise: It's a wonder why the animal thought that's a good spot to dig. I think the roofer did the best he could. Even a bird can do some damage, and the birds find smaller openings. You can have the damage repaired, although larger area must be opened. You can have the valley covered with metal, seams taped with eternabond tape. Ice shield extending the metal valley width and seam taped. Ice shield is not sticky enough to be a long term water barrier. Main selling point is it closes around the nails. In NJ and actually raccoons were almost eradicated because of rabid scare couple decades ago?, so I can't judge how the tape will do in your area. Maybe extreme sticky adhesive may discourage the animals.

Thanks op for the post. I'm now wondering how often I need to clean under the deck on a flat roof.:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
After looking at this video, a question for the Southern California roofers. When using a metal valley, is ice shield necessary in our climate?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts