DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need recommendations for a horizontal storage shed. It will need to house my large smoker when it is cold and when I am not using it.
Also, it will be on my deck, and in the sun.

The plastic/resin ones look OK in the pictures but reviews say they warp and crack after a short period of time.

The Metal ones also look OK but reviews say they are flimsy and don't fir together well.

The wood ones look great, but there aren't many of them, they are pricey, and may require painting/staining every few years, and are they water resistant.

Any comments/recommendations???

·
Naildriver
14,837 Posts
Fill us in on what you interpret a "horizontal" shed looking like. I'm not familiar with that term.

·
Registered
10,162 Posts

·
Naildriver
14,837 Posts
You've run out of material selections. Now go back and think of the attributes of each. Which will last longer with the least maintenance. Painting is not a big deal on a small shed like that. Staining may be even better and longer lasting.

Reactions: Msradell

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I never had plastic sheds. Children's toy houses. So if I looked for plastic sheds, I would look for name brands. I think i saw name like rubbermaid, and would look for simple hinge and such. I assume moving parts would bind first and break. I would assume fading colors. If wood, I would look for shingle roof that can be replaced and metal hardwares that are weather resistant.
If you can build one, could be just 3/4 ply box with edge reinforcements and put your own siding on it. Vinyl siding does not have to be with roofing nails, even 1" screws with washers will do. Could be bottomless shed sitting on the deck.

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Something along these lines.
i was given one of those several years ago, it was new. i use it for my dry firewood. it does get sun and it is still looking and working good. i expect years down the line the lid will fail, but the walls will be just fine. i will just make a new wood lid.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
My wife has a chest type, one of the better made ones, that still looks good after 5 years. I suspect the one posted above would offer quite a few good years of service and I doubt you could build it for much less.

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
laying something on the top to keep the sun off it would go a long way to making it last longer.

and now that i think about it = what would be something to install on the top to fight the sun ?

·
In a little over my head
1,383 Posts
The plastic ones last longer than you think. But for $400, you could have fun building it. 2x2 framing, SmartSide walls and roof, a few hinges. And a gallon of paint.

A Skil saw, framing square, tape measure, chalk box, hammer and screwdriver would be all the tools you'd need. DIY, dude!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts