DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I don't know how to rotate these attachments.

Is it just me or should this plenum be plumb and vertical, and yes.... it is also out of level by 3/8".:eek:
I envisioned a tapered transition to a vertical 8" to a 90 degree turn at bottom. The sheet metal work was completed after I was called away from the house during installation. Haven't spoken to the installer's boss yet. Wanted a pro opinion or two in advance. I think the end panels on the taper were reversed by acciednt during assembly.

My neighbour says it looks like something from Dr. Seus :laughing:

Attachments

·
Administrator
39,648 Posts
The reducing transition, needs to be spun 180°.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thnaks BT Exactly my thoughts at first glance. If not the trans at least the end panels. This would correct the drop to near vertical.

·
Administrator
39,648 Posts
End panels can't be moved by them selves.
The transition must be spun.

The angles are different degrees, so the length of the long sides are different.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes,
They are now that they have been trimmed. What if that middle trunk section got flipped top to bottom and the angle cuts trimmed a bit. Problem here is there is also a front to back transition flare of about 2" on one end the front side of the furnace, so from a side view, the left side of the RA drops vertical, flush with the back of the furnace the right side flares out about 2" where it meets the extension above the 90 degree turn into the fileter box approx 24 inches above the floor. I can attach photos when I'm home later.
I think the young guy got his wires crossed. Is this more visual or will it reduce efficiency?

·
Administrator
39,648 Posts
Its mostly cosmetic.

Minor resistance to air flow from direction changes.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, as mentined I was a bit perplexed when I came home and saw this and took out the tape measure and level.
My workmanship is my signature so I expect my upgrades to be done to my standard. I think he may have flipped the furnace 180 degrees as well
How many $ worth of sheet metal and time would this be to refit ?With the 90 turn the 8 x 24" plenum rises to about 5" above floor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Love the Dr. Seuss reference! That is funny as heck. Although, I agree with just minimal resistance and aesthetics being the real issue, I would make them come back and fix. You have an installed rotated reducer on your hands.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts