DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We are getting ready to purchase new flooring for out kitchen, living room, hallway and bedrooms. We thought that engineered hardwood was the best choice for durability with two small dogs but after reading some of the other threads I am unsure. My question is:
1. What is the best type of flooring (real hardwood, engineered hardwood or laminate)
2. What is the best brand? We were originally looking at Shaw but are now reading some unpleasant reviews about Shaws performance.
Thank you very much for you opinion :)

·
Not a Noob or Boob
109 Posts
I am not a big fan of wood in any wet zone. While some will tell you that it will hold up and will do just fine in the kitchen or bath. I for one would not recommend

As far as the dog, a real hardwood, anything dark and from Brazil, is, IMO, less likely to scratch than other hardwoods. I am not a fan of laminate. It sounds like crap, looks like crap and does nothing for the resale value. It's kind like Vinyl siding, serves it's purpose and that is about it.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
For quality flooring, look at a flooring dealer in your area, not big box.

What he said about dogs. IPE is hard as a rock, and a bit pricy. Maple, cherry are also hard and probably less pricey. Most of the hardwoods are fairly hard, pine would not be a good choice. Factory finishes tend to be a bit more scratch resistent than in home finishes.

·
old guy contractor
872 Posts
Maple, cherry are also hard and probably less pricey.
I respectfully disagree about cherry being hard.
It is a Hardwood but it is not hard.

Dogs are tough on floors and woodwork.

Maple and oak would be in the top choices.
Ipe and Brazian are going to be very dark.
Possibly a prefinished with a high scratch resistant rating.

I liked the laminate rating.......It's like vinyl siding......:yes:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
After seeing and experiencing many different flooring combos (and working in a flooring store for a while) here's what we've done in our house;

Kitchen and dining room was vinyl and was replaced with cork. Comfortable and easy on the joints. Looks good too.

Family room and hallways were oak and we left it like that. We like the look and feel and our pets love running around on it.

Bedrooms are carpeted. Good for now but will be replaced with new carpet sooner or later.

Bathrooms are tiled. Thinking about either cork or tile with radiant heated floors. Project TBA but currently tiles are cold + ugly and will be addressed at the time of reno.

Definitely stay away from big box and go a store that sells only flooring. Better selection and better quality at specialty stores.

·
Not a Noob or Boob
109 Posts
Brazilian Cherry is nearly twice as hard as Red Oak. If you are looking for something lighter Hickory is a good choice. You can stain hickory to match just about anything. The general rule of thumb is the darker the wood the harder it is. I am partial to Brazilian Walnut.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,093 Posts
Go to the flooring forum and post this or go to search. You'll get more info.

·
A Little Of Everything
2,394 Posts
After seeing and experiencing many different flooring combos (and working in a flooring store for a while) here's what we've done in our house;

Kitchen and dining room was vinyl and was replaced with cork. Comfortable and easy on the joints. Looks good too.

Family room and hallways were oak and we left it like that. We like the look and feel and our pets love running around on it.

Bedrooms are carpeted. Good for now but will be replaced with new carpet sooner or later.

Bathrooms are tiled. Thinking about either cork or tile with radiant heated floors. Project TBA but currently tiles are cold + ugly and will be addressed at the time of reno.

Definitely stay away from big box and go a store that sells only flooring. Better selection and better quality at specialty stores.
Hey - how has the cork held up in your kitchen? It has always appealed to me, but I've wondered about its durability in a setting like the kitchen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you!!

Thank you everyone for responding!! All your opinions are greatly appreciated since I am getting completely overwhelmed with all the choices :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts