DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Those prices aren’t out of line, actually they are on the low end of normal.
Getting a system installed is very expensive.
You shouldn’t judge pricing off of what you see online.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
My setup is the easiest. It’s in a closet , the lines go up and over the wall, not underground, it’s on a stand... not attic or anything crazy to run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Should I consider 2 stage cooling or variable speed? I was offered a 2 speed scroll compressor ... not sure if worth it

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Still, it’s on the lower end.
DO NOT base your decision on whom will do the installation the cheapest. Your not comparing equal services. The cheap quotes may cut corners that will come back and bite you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Still, it’s on the lower end.
DO NOT base your decision on whom will do the installation the cheapest. Your not comparing equal services. The cheap quotes may cut corners that will come back and bite you.

How do I know the installation cost when they just give me 1 price for the whole thing?

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Quotes aren’t usually itemized.
This is where you have to interview the installer to see what quality of work they do.
Like purge with nitrogen while brazing, do a proper leak test and evacuation with a micron gauge, and perform a proper equipment commissioning once the installation is done.

·
Super Moderator
39,290 Posts
The tech said going 3.5 ton would be a disservice and going above 4 would not effectively remove humidity

He quoted me the same Lennox Elite 4 ton as the other company.

Dropping to 3.5 tons would be a nominal capacity drop of 12.5%. Increasing to 5 tons, would be a nominal capacity increase of 125%.

·
Super Moderator
39,290 Posts
And he lost his damn mind... $5800!! Lol

That 10 year labor warranty, was a warranty you were being charged for.

My setup is the easiest. It’s in a closet , the lines go up and over the wall, not underground, it’s on a stand... not attic or anything crazy to run

Okay. Go to the closet, and poke your head around the back of the air handler and tell us what it looks like.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
That 10 year labor warranty, was a warranty you were being charged for.

Okay. Go to the closet, and poke your head around the back of the air handler and tell us what it looks like.

Yea I figured he buried it in the offer....

I put my head back in the closet and it’s very dark ...

·
Super Moderator
39,290 Posts
You see how little room there is to work. Its not quite as easy as you think.

How easy do you think it will be to seal the duct to the back of the air handler.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
I am repeating what a tech said to me today, I do not infer it is easy work on my own accord.

·
Super Moderator
39,290 Posts
I am repeating what a tech said to me today, I do not infer it is easy or wick on my own accord

Lots of techs have a good talk to get a job. But not the skill to back it up.

A poor job in that closet will leave you with a very sour taste in your wallet.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I dunno about that. My mom lives in FL and her condenser is on a stand outside and that is easy peasy. But the air handler in a closet and if yours is anything like hers it is a nightmare install. There is absolutely no room to work, like they put it in with a shoe horn. The last time it was replaced they had to come back several times to fix drywall and wood trim.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I guess the new “thing” is a free UV light installed in the air handler...

41 - 55 of 55 Posts