DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a beveled edge on a single 32" long 2 x 4 for installing an air conditioner in a vinyl window... and I don't own a table saw.

My local Home Depot won't do rip cuts nor will my local mom and pop lumber place.

I'm pretty sure Home Depot doesn't rent table saws, but, even if they did, I can't really justify spending that kind of money for a single cut.

It's, as far as I can tell, the most ideal scenario for installing the AC (I need about a 6 degree slant on the wood so the water drains properly, and, no, I'm not going with shims) so I'm willing to shell out some money for the cut, just not tool rental money.

Any ideas?

·
Experienced goon
57 Posts
Surprised the local shop won't do it... I haven't found one in the NYC area (haven't looked), but when I lived in upstate NY, the local place cut and charged by the foot. No friends with table saws? What about a local handyman?

·
Registered
13 Posts
What tools do you own? A belt sander would work. A plane and some hand sanding. A circular saw set on 6º. These come to mind as alternatives to a table saw.

·
Registered
383 Posts
HD's rent table saw. The one by me rents the nice Dewalt contractor saw for 35/day or a little less for 4 hours. Try finding a wood working shop. they may be willing to do it for a little cash.

You could also do it with a cirular saw. You could mount your 32" board to a piece of plywood with 1-2 2x4's next to it to give you a wider base. Then clamp another board on top of it to act as a cut guide.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
he just doesn't want to pay for a one time use...can't blame him!
but hey, it's PINE fer cryin' out loud....
seems to me, it's easiest to just go 'old school'..... grab a good, sharp knife, go sit on yer front porch and do a Jed Clampett on it to shape the bevel, then used the side you whittled as the bottom and no-one will be the wiser.

DM

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
You only need 6 degrees. DM's idea will work or get the cheapest block plane you can find. You could probably sand 6 degrees off rubbing it on your sidewalk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts