DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to purchase a light portable oil air compressor to run ONE framing gun to build a shed, deck, frame a door. I want to keep the price down and was considering the Harbor Freight Fortress but prefer to stay away from HF and spend a little more but not a ton more. I don't have any idea how much psi, scfm, hp, or gallons I'll need. Since the oilless are not rebuildable and don't last, I want an oil compressor. Can you answer the specs please and make suggestions.

I was looking at the Makita MAC700.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
not the answer you wanted. But I have the basic porter cable round pancake compressor that you buy at Nd or Lowe’s for a hundred bucks. Will fun ONE framing gun...or a couple of finish guns, staplers, brad nailers, etc. no worries. And no it it not oil, but my first one lasted like 8-9 years and the other is at 9 with no worries. In fact, my porter cable framing gun blew a seal that would cost more to rrapid than a new gun before my first compressor gave it up...and by gave it up, I mean a slow leak in one of the hoses that I didn’t care to chase after. Gave it to my daughters boyfriend to fix. Ron

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Not the cheap option, but Emglo is a good compressor. I asked a trusted friend what to buy in 1988. He said buy Emglo and I would never have to buy another one. He died a few years ago but he was right, my Emglo compressor is still going strong after 42 years of service.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I’ve had a MAC700 for seven years, used just for personal reno work. I bought it because moving my other much heavier compressor around was a real pain, plus it was quite noisy. The MAC700 is a lot quieter, but at 52 pounds it isn’t that light. If I had to do it over again (unlikely, since it will probably outlive me) I’d probably choose a 30 lb compressor similar to what Ron has suggested, just to have something really easy to move around. Even a small compressor can run a framing gun, since unless you do it for a living you’re not shooting many nails per minute.

Chris

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
The HF Fortress is an oil free compressor.
If you want a quiet compressor, get a Roller.....they aren't cheap but they are very good quality.
For tossing in the back of a truck, get a DeWalt or one of the HF units.....reliable and cheap and if you have to replace it you are out $100.
I had a Porter Cable. Used it very little and it lasted about an year before the piston rod broke.
One night I heard it running in the garage. Since it couldn't make any pressure it may have run for days.
The parts to fix it cost more than the compressor.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The above are oiled compressors in the low $200s to mid $250s and will last.

Harbor Freight has an oilless compressor, Fortress 2hp, 135 psi, 2.2cfm @ 90psi, Black Friday special $120, discounted $40. At age 68 how long will I be doing this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts