DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few weeks back my compressor fan quit and a new capacitor fixed the problem. Around the same time the heat got worse(100 degrees +) and I noticed the compressor would occasionally not turn on with the blower. Replaced the compressor capacitor. Problem still occurs occasionally, not consistently. Confusing part is my blower fan will sometimes not start when comp runs and we get no air. Checked all connections at t-stat and circuit board--tight, ocassionally a clicking will occur and a good wiggle of the wires will usually get the blower going, but not always. Different wire wiggle produces click--not same one every time. Again, no consistency. Replaced the wires from the t-stat to handler board--still same problems. Checked connections to blower motor--tight. I read some posts about transformer problems and wondered if this sounds similar or does it sound like my controller board is bad or a relay somewhere? Unit is seven years old and had been serviced for checkup 2 years ago w/out incident. Never happened before this year. Anyone with an idea where I go next? Voltage checks?
Thanks ahead of time.

· Hvac Pro
25,116 Posts
You need a new circuit board. I am a Lennox tech and those boards wear out/faulty relay. The new board may be a retrofit and difficult to install. I would get a Lennox tech to do it. Try Cozyparts.com for Lennox parts.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was getting to the point of realization that it may be the board since I replaced just about everything else. I was hoping for something easier and cheaper to replace, but if it's gone, it's gone.

Thanks for the info.

· Hvac Pro
25,116 Posts
Make SURE you follow the instructions EXACTLY and pay attention to the series # of your unit/last digit in the model# (ie:80MGF-75-3 = series 3) as the board may need some wiring changes to make it work. Most RAM and some Heatcraft boards are now converted to White Rodgers.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, new discovery. While outside adjusting my lawn tractor's front tires, the system kicked on but the compressor failed to start after about 1-2 seconds of buzzing. While there, about every 3 or so minutes the compressor would try again, buzzing 1-2 seconds and stop, all while the fan continued to turn. Does this also sound like a control panel or does it need a "Super Boost" capacitor? The one I replaced is the recommended 60+7.5mfd at 440V. Any thoughts?

· GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
If you are able to, you need to measure the amp draw to the compressor when it tries to start.

When it tries to start and stops it is going of thermal overload. If you have replaced the dual start capacitor and you have a high amp draw then you may try a hard start kit (super boost as you put it) and it may last you through the summer but, it may be an indication that your compressor is worn and about to fail.

How old is your system?

· Hvac Pro
25,116 Posts
I love the false economy some people have. Spend $4000 on an A/C and refuse to spend $95 to do a checkup. But I have a warranty they say:bangin:.

ps. Complete Care won't honor warranty claims without proof of a yearly checkup. Read the fine print in your warranty info folks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.