DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pull-down attic door/hatch has zero insulation and it feels very, very warm. I need to insulate it ASAP, but I don't want to use any of that fiberglass material. I'm sure foam insulation board would be best, but it's also a huge hassle for various reasons. What do you all think about those zippered attic door tents?

The one I'm looking at claims it has a R-value of 15.67. I have doubts about that as I read that these tents are actually R 1.1. This one also claims, "extra thick double bubble layer laminated with pure Aluminum Foil on both sides."

The company also sells rolls of reflective insulation and states, "our Radiant Barrier/Reflective Insulation SmartSHIELD is made from double-sided 99% aluminum foil, with closed-cell polyethylene foam. It provides optimal protection by reflecting up to 97% of radiant energy, in addition to resisting conductive and convective heat transfers."

I'm not sure if the tents are made out of the same material or not. There's not much other info about it. All the reviews I've seen for these tents have been great, but I'm jusy not sure about them.

I would like opinons, please. Thank you.

·
retired framer
47,222 Posts
I think the best is to build a box in the attic with drywall on the inside and an insulated door with a seal like an exterior door
1623270809198.png

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,064 Posts
2 inch Styrofoam works real well cut and glue on the backside of the door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After adding the foam, add a weather strip roll around the edges, to further seal it from air infiltration.

The roll is approximately 1" wide, a quarter inch thick, and applies with one side sticky tape.

Super easy fix.

ED

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
2 inch Styrofoam works real well cut and glue on the backside of the door
After adding the foam, add a weather strip roll around the edges, to further seal it from air infiltration.
The roll is approximately 1" wide, a quarter inch thick, and applies with one side sticky tape.
Styrofoam ? I used half a dozed layers of XPS. A foot thick, in total. I think I got enough R value.
You will find adhesive meant for foam boards, close to the insulation, normally

·
retired framer
47,222 Posts
Not home right now, but I framed out along the sided and tacked some foil faced foam around the perimeter, sealed to the attic floor with foam, and then did a double stack of foam board on the top that had a bit of weight to it to help seal to the weatherstripping. Works like a champ.
So, any foam in living space should be behind drywall, how did you deal with that.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
17,064 Posts
I used a plywood sheet, contact cement, to attack a double layer of 2 inch foam board, a short piano hinge, and a cabinet closure that you twist to lock in.

Added a strip of foam for weather stripping doors.

Closes the hatch, need a step ladder to get in, but It satisfied me.

ED

1 - 12 of 12 Posts