DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time DIY'er but new to the community. I'm stuck and need ideas. Bought a house a few years ago which had this shower with brick surrounding it.Noticed the tiles needed replaced but the list of issues with this shower grew as time progressed. The major problem is it is a huge pain to clean and grows mold constantly. I want to remodel it but have no clue as to what my options are. Need some opinions as to if this looks to be a full gut or if there is something else I can do. I just finished a full gut and remodel of a 600 square ft room and really was hoping to avoid getting into another large project if there are other options. At the least, I'm going to reseal and paint then redo the tile/drain.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
I would remove all of it and do over. Upgrade the plumbing fixtures as well. It looks like paint on the surface and I can't believe the paint isn't peeling esp with mold. Mold means the surface isn't drying. Probably the moisture is going through the paint as well as the bricks from drying out.

If remodel, the sunken pan to the floor edge sealing could be a problem and you may have to remove those tiles to water proof the transition.

·
retired painter
12,193 Posts
If the paint is flat latex, a good coat of semi-gloss bath paint will help some.
I agree the painted brick is a poor choice for shower walls and should be replaced sooner or later.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,926 Posts
Unbelievable!

Do yourself a favor and take it all out down to the studs.

If you tried waterproof and then tile over it you'd be trapping moisture between two membranes (the original water barrier, the new surface sealant, etc.).

The mildew is in the brick and will NEVER come out - you will alway have mildew and will always have it seeping out from any other crack or seam in the adjacent walls.

Brick and concrete product cannot be made waterproof. All you can do is try and postpone the NEXT time you have to do the work all over again.

You'll love the new bathroom when you are done!

·
retired painter
12,193 Posts
Brick and concrete product cannot be made waterproof.

Not sure I agree, what about gunite pools? Not saying removal isn't a good idea but I believe the brick [or tile over it] can be waterproofed. I'm not so sure moisture would get trapped in the brick once it's waterproofed.

·
retired framer
53,525 Posts
Things don't grow in concrete or brick, they grow on the food source on the surface only when they also have moisture and air.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,926 Posts
Not sure I agree, what about gunite pools? Not saying removal isn't a good idea but I believe the brick [or tile over it] can be waterproofed. I'm not so sure moisture would get trapped in the brick once it's waterproofed.
I understand your comment and can admit that it is conceivable to make brick waterproof. But, we've all seen how grout cracks and coatings peel, including gunite.

Let's ask the basic question, "Is brick the right material to make a shower out of?"

Second question, "Does OP have utter confidence that the prior installation was done correctly with waterproof backing and flexible grout in the corners to prevent future cracks due to independent wall movement where the corners come together?"

Third question, "Shouldn't OP fix it now, correctly?"

I supposed OP could simply cut some fiberglass/corian panels and fit them to the walls and use decent adhesive and caulk to fill any voids - but, having a history working with mold/flood remediation, I'm always leary about trapping dirt/mold/water when I have a chance to get rid of it permanetly.

For DIY I know expense and experience are hard to balance. And, I'm glad we are all on the forum to provide different points of view and exchange techniques in support of OP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.