DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I turned on my heat last couple days, the HVAC would kick on and then off again.

When I removed the panel, there was water leaking from the exhaust tube (where that connection point is).

It is a high efficiency HVAC (Lennox 5 years old). My guess is that one of these 2 areas is clogged.

Option 1: Pipe which exhausts the water from the unit is clogged so the condensation is being pushed through the unit and into the exhaust pipe
Option 2: there is a bird or birds next which has blocked the exhaust pipe and due to that there isn't proper air flow.

I am not sure what sensor or what is being triggered which is causing the unit to turn on and off. Any idea of what the issue could be. My guess is just that it is one of the 2 areas below but am curious to hear from any experts. Seems like the leaking stopped once I reconnected the hose but the unit keeps turning off on its own after a few minutes of being on.

UPDATE 5/12: THEY CLEANED THE CONDENSATE LINE AND NOW ARE SAYING IT IS THE HEAT EXCHANGER.

So just to clarify this is the work that has been done so far:

1) Both inducer motor and pressure switch replaced
2) Condensate lines have been cleaned

Now they are saying the last thing it could be is the secondary heat exchanger given the error code. Luckily they didn't charge me for both of those things listed above (only the $120 service call) because they said their guy made the mistake when he jumped the gun to replace the inducer motor and pressure switch.

The HVAC is only 6 years old. It is a Lennox EL195DF110XE60C-02

It was installed and warrantied by a different company (four seasons). I heard the heat exchanger is still under warranty but this pro scared me and said that they'll find an excuse to say it is not in warranty.

Any help is much appreciated!!

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
So disconnect the condensate lines and trap, check for blockages.
Can't tell exactly where it's leaking from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the exhaust was clogged the unit wouldn’t run.
Your condensate line is clogged.
Thanks! Couple quick follow up questions:
1) My unit is turning on and off, just wondering how it would know that the exhaust was clogged. Would it turn on and off since the exhaust is clogged?

2) If it was the condensate drain, is there some sort of water or overflow sensor? How does the unit know that the water isn't being removed.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
By turning on and off do you mean it’s short cycling and not heating the space? Or it’s cycling normally?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By turning on and off do you mean it’s short cycling and not heating the space? Or it’s cycling normally?
It is short cycling and not heating the space. Heather kicks on and then after 5 minutes it shuts off. Current temperature inside is around 65 degrees and even if I set it to 80 it will go on for about 5 minutes and reach 66 but then shut off again.

I am getting the condensate lines cleaned now (that is what we are assuming is causing this) but the pro I called made a comment that the second heat exchanger could've gone bad but I'm a bit confused on what would be causing that diagnosis given the situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is short cycling and not heating the space. Heather kicks on and then after 5 minutes it shuts off. Current temperature inside is around 65 degrees and even if I set it to 80 it will go on for about 5 minutes and reach 66 but then shut off again.

I am getting the condensate lines cleaned now (that is what we are assuming is causing this) but the pro I called made a comment that the second heat exchanger could've gone bad but I'm a bit confused on what would be causing that diagnosis given the situation.
Well interesting turn of events. The pro cleaned out the condensate line and the issue still exists. The error code they are getting is error code 7 (Primary of secondary limit open or watchguard mode - limit switch open longer than 3 minutes).

So just to clarify this is the work that has been done so far:

1) Both inducer motor and pressure switch replaced
2) Condensate lines have been cleaned

Now they are saying the last thing it could be is the secondary heat exchanger given the error code. Luckily they didn't charge me for both of those things listed above (only the $120 service call) because they said their guy made the mistake when he jumped the gun to replace the inducer motor and pressure switch.

The HVAC is only 6 years old. It is a Lennox EL195DF110XE60C-02

It was installed and warrantied by a different company (four seasons). I heard the heat exchanger is still under warranty but this pro scared me and said that they'll find an excuse to say it is not in warranty.

Any help is much appreciated!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts