DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am looking for some honest feedback on the color and style choices used on this house. I will explain why after I get some feedback, because I dont want to influence anyone opinion. Thank you in advance for your feedback!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Color/style choices are strickly a personal thing. If you like it, then it is right for you. What anyone else thinks should not matter.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I can't really tell how close the tree is, but a tree that size is usually good thing and saves on energy bills due to the shade. The color is fine. The siding at the peaks could be a bit darker to bring out an offsetting of materials. I was surprised to find out that the quickest selling house color is yellow. Overall, nice looking house.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just my thoughts, please do not be offended... The colors are fine but boring and the accent siding needs to be darker or of more contrast. As far as the style I do not care for the garage in the front. My home is the same way for practical reasons but I find the appearance unbalanced and unappealing. That said it is hard to comment on style because the surrounding housing can have a lot of influence on what looks right. I love big trees but the one in that front yard is way to big for the yard and the house. It would be a great loss but removing that tree and a little landscaping would really add to the appeal of that house.

Rege

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
The siding exposure is too narrow for the tall fascade. I don't like the two colors or the two different , redundant, exposures. If you want to change out the top siding, use something decorative, like scallops to break up the monotony. The tall section with the windows should have a horizontal break above the second floor window. Above that you would make the design transition. Same for the garage fascade.
Ron

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the opinions. I'll post a "before" picture below. We recently replaced the windows, roof and siding. Changing the garage layout, window size/location, roof shape, etc were not an option. We had to work with what we had. It seems like every house in the neighborhood is going with one of three shades of tan, so we wanted ours to "pop" a little more. We also didnt want to rip down the stone veneer so our color choices were a little limited. I did all the window/door trim myself, and except for the headers, it was all my design. I really like the overall look of the house now, but my wife doesnt. She doesnt think the colors match at all. Neighbors have stopped to compliment us, but she thinks they are just being nice and laughing behind our backs. lol I just wanted to get some outside opinions to see which one of us is nuts!:laughing:

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
agreed... the window and door arches really perk it up nicely. tell her if she doesn't like it, you'll be happy to repaint....
(see below)

DM

Attachments

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
This would be, "Big Birds" house.
Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
It looks like you have some brickwork on your porch and around your walkway. I would go away from the pastel yellow and move toward some earth tones

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Only problem with that is that just about every house in the neighborhood is now one of three shades of tan. The house right next door is tan.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Big Bird?

hmmmmm..... i was going more for a 'Superman' color scheme..... too much yellow? owell......

DM

·
Registered
83 Posts
You asked for honest opinions so....

I liked it better the way it was. It looked much more stately - for lack of a better term. The window/garage trim was nice. If I was to change what you had before the upper contrasting trim would have been it. To me it looks like a house that had some expensive touches taken down to a stock style builders home.

Are you sure you don't have your pictures reversed.....

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:eek:

your saying you like the house better with the brown doors/windows and no trimwork?

everyones entitled to an opinion and I asked for it, so I'm not complaining, but I must say I am surprised to hear that, if thats what you meant.

·
Registered
216 Posts
that tree looks like it tripled in size between the two photos. I agree it's kinda close, blocks out the nice stone and the columns.

Maybe try the scallops if you aren't happy with it. I'm going to put those up myself one of these days.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really like the cedar impressions siding. I have no intention on changing it. I have been trimming the tree a little at a time though. It has really gotten huge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts