DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys listen i have never done any sand blasting before but just got a small bench top cabinet to do finishes on knives (i make custom knives) problem is it doesnt shoot much sand i poured the sand in the cabinet hooked up the gun to the air commpressor and then to the syphon hose and stuck that in the sand and went at it and it does spray A LITTTLE sand but no where what it should it would litterly take over a hour to do a 6 in knife at the rate it was going has anyone used these? any ideas why its not working? THANKS!

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
More info needed---

Most sand blasters, even small ones, use a lot of air---

How many CFMs( Cubic feet per minute) @90 pounds does your compressor put out?
what CFM is required by your small blaster?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i will go check i am pritty sure its enough its a large one 3 hp.....i think i figured out the problem tho just dont know how to fix it....i put the larger tip on and it started working a little it would burst fire real quick 1-2 seconds when i pulled trigger but wouldnt stay on but then i realised the syphon hose was completely clogged with sand i mean packed the sand is clean and dry so i dont know what could be causeing this

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,129 Posts
That is exactly what I meant.

Did you get a new unit or a used, did it have instructions, if not can you get them from the manufacturer?

If there is nothing to stop the hose from gobbling a full volume , it is going to plug off quite fast, imagine a vacuum cleaner sucking a full pile of dirt by sticking the hose in the middle of the pile. same effect ,it plugs and you have to start at the edge and work slowly.

Same principle just a different apparatus.

Go online to the manufacturer to see their owners manual, and parts list.

ED

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got it new no screen tho, it was a cheap one from harbor frieght the instructions were not the best on the site it said all i need is air compressor in the instruction book it showed a filter a shutoff valve and something else on th hose but it didnt come with any of that but it did say that stuff was optional and would make it work better but not necessary maybe the filter they talked about does the same thing as the screen your talking about ill try it today....any kind of screen will work maybe cut a piece off a kitchen strainer?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,129 Posts
It needs holes big enough to allow the sand particles through.

Maybe adapt a Tea Ball.

The little thing that people put loose tea leaves in and steep their tea.

It is just about the right size and has plenty of holes to allow sand passage.

ED

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Sandblasting cabinets don't normally have a screen on the bottom of the siphon tube. I have a good quality cabinet from TPI. The bigger the nozzle opening, the more cubic feet of air is required. My cabinet requires a compressor that puts out a minimum of 9 cfm. My current compressor puts out 17 cfm. The HF boasters are not that good but should work better than what yours is. Where did you get your blasting media and what exactly is it? What kind of finish on your knives are you trying to obtain? There are a lot of different media available that aren't necessarily sand. I use a lot of ground glass, which is slightly more aggressive than glass beads but lasts much longer. Aluminum oxide is even more agressive.
Mike Hawkins:smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys THANKS for all the help. i was using regular sand wich i know they use for auto body work cause my bro in law does alot of auto body and mechanic work and thats what he told me to get (out of my options that was local) i had ordered 70 grit aluminum oxide wich finally came yesterday so i dumped the sand and used that and it worked great. i dont know maybe the sand was to heavy or something and thats why it kept clogging up the hose??? i guess i will have to play with different media to see what finish's i can get on the knives. can anyone give any advice on what media will give what finish's compared to the aluminum oxide? i have read some knife makers use glass but i know there are different grit glass and some are balls and some are crushed any ideas of what does what??? thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
DB,
Check out this link for TP Tools. They have all the supplies for blasting. They're just under an hour from me. Cool store to visit. They manufacture a full line of blasting cabinets there and carry anything you need for auto body work and restoration.
tptools.com
Mike Hawkins:smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.