DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need help with leaking shower door.

257 6
I noticed that grout of the bottom tile outside shower at left is wet after showering, so I removed the tile. The drywall behind the tile was a little moldy and slightly wet, the lumber and floor were also wet according to moisture meter. There were also ants.
Wood Floor Door Hardwood Wood stain

After some testing, I found out that the water gets in the channel behind the tiles through the bottom shower door track, so I removed the frame and the tile on the right side of the shower as well.
Wood Gas Stain Recipe Mold

Fluid Wood Paint Fixture Window

The grout or caulk were missing at the both sides of the shower door bottom track. So I'm thinking that was probably the reason of the leak.

However, I don't know how should I seal it, should I use the grout or only caulk between shower pan and tiles at the places where track is installed. Also, not sure if I should attempt to seal the channel between tiles and shower pan lip because I have weep holes open and any extra water in the channel may just leak back to the pan and not outside it.

Wood Fixture Composite material Paint Gas

I also concerned that the house is only 2 years old, and this leak most likely is happening all this time. The area behind removed tiles feels wet and smells like mold. I'm planning to leave the tiles removed for a month at leas to make sure it doesn't leak and let it dry, but not sure if it will be enough to have that area to dry.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
I’m sure that the builder will tell you to go to, but, something like this shouldn’t fail so quickly. I’d say this falls on the builders installer. Really! I’d calmly call them and mention mold and somewhat hint lawsuit. The bigger question is, is it leaking anywhere else?

A big issue with caulking is, too many people just run a quick line and don’t actually fill the cavity.
Don’t dig any deeper and call the builder. Any more damage will be blamed on you. But! This is the most important. An honest builder will strip all the caulking, check for damage and mold and redo all the sealing points.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m sure that the builder will tell you to go to, but, something like this shouldn’t fail so quickly. I’d say this falls on the builders installer. Really! I’d calmly call them and mention mold and somewhat hint lawsuit. The bigger question is, is it leaking anywhere else?

A big issue with caulking is, too many people just run a quick line and don’t actually fill the cavity.
Don’t dig any deeper and call the builder. Any more damage will be blamed on you. But! This is the most important. An honest builder will strip all the caulking, check for damage and mold and redo all the sealing points.
I only had 1-year warranty and it's expired. At this point, the builder won't do anything.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I only had 1-year warranty and it's expired. At this point, the builder won't do anything.
If your builder hasn’t been contacted yet, call them anyway. Don’t disregard the power of bad press. Mold can be dangerous, and the bad press isn’t worth the cost of fixing the issue. This isn’t something that is considered ware and certainly isn’t expected to be noticed while living there. See if the job was subcontracted out. That company may be willing to honor their work.

I’ve always wondered why buyers aren’t given a warranty of workmanship. Bad framing and foundations can take years to show themselves. I’ve used a Hilti concrete nailer gun to try and mount a piece wood to concrete once and the concrete fell apart multiple times. The house was also about 2 years old. What’s to say the mix or prep wasn’t bad. imagine
paying for a new foundation.

·
Naildriver
21,597 Posts
CBU won't mold like that. Sheetrock will mold. Not sure why it was installed on sheetrock. Outside the wet area is fine, but it looks as if it extends inward, too. Is that tile or cultured marble panels?

·
Naildriver
21,597 Posts
I see, now, that the flange is in picture 3, with a backer above it, which is the correct method of installation of tile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts