DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 Inch Width X 45 Inch Height X 81 Inch from floor window on the gable end of the house with wooden wall covered by Vinyl Siding from outside. I want to replace it with a 32" X 80" Door prehung.

The city wants me to draw up a simple drawing on the header, jamb, king stud, jack stud etc. Can someone advise me what would the specs of the frame for this door so I can get a permit easily.

Thanks in advance.

·
retired framer
51,192 Posts
So you are almost ready as is.
Your rough opening will want to be 34" wide and 82 inches high.
So depending how things are above the window.
You will leave the header but remove the 2x4 or 2x6 on the flat that is there and you will need 2 studs on each side of the door.

So draw it up like it is with the one piece removed add 2 jack stud on each side of the door 34" apart and then place 1x4 or 1x6 34" long between the jacks at the top.
Show the sill at the floor cut out between the jack studs at the floor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neal,

Thanks. I always appreciate your support and thanks for the above information. If I draw up a basic drawing tommorow and place a link here, would you be able to provide some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

·
retired framer
51,192 Posts
Neal,

Thanks. I always appreciate your support and thanks for the above information. If I draw up a basic drawing tommorow and place a link here, would you be able to provide some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Marc
Just make sure there is a sill above the door and below the header.
If the header is at 81" that will add to the work Then check to see how big the header is. the header is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a prehung door with existing jamb. Which header configuration would you suggest would be best for such a door.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Neal. I do not know which configuration exists right now unless we cut open the opening. Is there any other way to find out the configuration ?

·
retired framer
51,192 Posts
Hi Neal. I do not know which configuration exists right now unless we cut open the opening. Is there any other way to find out the configuration ?
No, if you are drawing something for the permit, that is what you have to show the inspector, no point in guessing

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep got it. The only way I was thinking was to run a stud finder over the window and see if it gives me a clue. Better would be cut out the drywall and then see the configuration.

·
retired framer
51,192 Posts
Yep got it. The only way I was thinking was to run a stud finder over the window and see if it gives me a clue. Better would be cut out the drywall and then see the configuration.
Take out 1 ft by 4 ft centered over the door area.
Get a good look and fairly easy to fix.

·
retired framer
51,192 Posts
Yes, I am thinking of doing that and also below the window to see if there is a wire running .
I didn't ask the ceiling height stay 3 inches away from ceiling if you are close.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts