DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,885 Posts
Should be no issue with installing electronic ballasts. You just need to wire them according to the drawing on the ballast. It will be different than the magnetic ones.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Should be no issue with installing electronic ballasts. You just need to wire them according to the drawing on the ballast. It will be different than the magnetic ones.
Which means removing the existing leads from the lamp sockets....not something I want to do only because I don't want to break something that may be brittle in the process. I basically don't want a small job to turn into a large job. But I do appreciate the advice and guidance.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,799 Posts
It is good practice to replace the tombstones, they get brittle with age. You are being ridiculous, do the job right. Install modern electronic ballasts, new tombstones and T8 lamps.

Reactions: Jim Port

·
Super Moderator
20,885 Posts
You don't need to remove the leads. Just cut the wires long. The old ones probably have two wires to the tombstone. The new ballast probably shows one wire connecting to each one. Just connect the two existing wires with new single wire. The colours won't match but that doesn't matter.
I have changed hundreds of them in the old office building I worked in.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You are being ridiculous, do the job right. Install modern electronic ballasts, new tombstones and T8 lamps.
I agree with you, however I'm more concerned about the shape and mount of electronic ballasts more than the wiring. I'd have to drill new holes into the metal frame of the fixture into who-knows-what in the ceiling above. If they mounted into the same holes as the magnetic ballasts I would be more willing to try it. If the fixture was not ceiling flush mounted this job would be a heck of a lot easier.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,799 Posts
I agree with you, however I'm more concerned about the shape and mount of electronic ballasts more than the wiring. I'd have to drill new holes into the metal frame of the fixture into who-knows-what in the ceiling above. If they mounted into the same holes as the magnetic ballasts I would be more willing to try it. If the fixture was not ceiling flush mounted this job would be a heck of a lot easier.
Any time I have replaced mag. ballasts with electronic they have used the same mounting.

Reactions: joed

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Any time I have replaced mag. ballasts with electronic they have used the same mounting.
All electronic ballasts that I have seen so far for F20T12s are longer and thinner. They don't match the form factor of the magnetic ones I currently have.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts