DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Im new here, so bare with me.
I am trying to hook up my evap cooler, to a switch that I bought from home depot. Its just a manual 6 position wall switch.
The thermostat We did have on the evap, doesnt work anymore, so for now, we just need some kind of switch on it.

The problem is, is that I have no clue how I am supposed to hook up the wires.

I would post pictures, but it wont let me put any links in my post. So Im not sure anyone will be able to help me out, without seeing pictures..

But Ill still try...

Okay.. so on my evap cooler, it has the following wires:

WHITE - pump
YELLOW - fan
GREEN - common
BLUE - drain
RED - 24v

On the back of the switch it has screws, where your supposed to put the wires on...
The diagram that came with that switch, says the following:

L1 - Hot (black)
1 - Lo (Red)
2 - Hot (shows the hot going to the pump)
C - Hi (black) shows it going to the motor

We wanna just be able to hook this switch up, inside the house, so we can at least get the eval cooler turned on. I know its a manual switch, which is fine for now.
So if someone could please help me figure out what wire would go where, I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Wrong type of switch for your swamp cooler. You need a new thermostat that is controlled my 24 volts. That switch you have now is for direct 120/240v applications

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about some type of dimmer switch? Would that work on that? Where you turn the dimmer switch clockwise and the fan will go higher, or opposite and it will turn lower?? Home depot doesnt have a thermostat that I can use for the evap cooler and I dont have a car to go anywhere else. Home depot is walking distance. Im in AZ.. its HOTT here.. Dont wanna run the A/C yet.. too expensive.. I just want to get this evap cooler up and running quickly.. lol

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Home Depot in Arizona does carry evap cooler thermostats. They are not with the thermostats, they are with the cooler supplies. Check around.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Call Essick Air at 1-800-643-8341. They own or distribute the Master Cool brand.

Ask them about a new thermostat that will work with your controller unit.

Otherwise, you may have to replace both the thermostat and the controller.

How do you know it is the thermostat and not the controller ? Did you check the fuse on the controller ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Call Essick Air at 1-800-643-8341. They own or distribute the Master Cool brand.

Ask them about a new thermostat that will work with your controller unit.

Otherwise, you may have to replace both the thermostat and the controller.

How do you know it is the thermostat and not the controller ? Did you check the fuse on the controller ?
The evap cooler will work, if you go outside and flip the switches. But doing that, only makes it go one speed. Low.
When we had the thermostat hooked up to it, we had it in the house, and it would turn on when needed. And it had HI and LOW on it, and both worked. Then we didnt use it for a while. Not sure why someone unhooked the thermostat, but when we went to hook it up again, the thermostat wont work anymore.
Unless maybe we wired it wrong this time.
The thermostat that we had was this one,

and here is a picture of the back, where the wires would go:

So maybe if someone could tell me how this one should be wired, I can try to hook it up again and see if it works or not.
Please & Thank U for all ur help!!

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
The YWRGB stamped on the board is
Yellow, White, Red, Green, Blue.
What color wires do you have in the wall ? Assuming you have those colors, I would connect them as indicated.

Turn off the power to the cooler at the breaker and leave it off for 10-15 minutes while you are doing the wiring. Then power the unit back on. Powering it down and then back up after the delay, should cause the controller to go thru a reset.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the wires that come out from the evap cooler (which are the same ones that are coming out of the wall in the house are these:

WHITE - pump
YELLOW - fan
GREEN - common
BLUE - drain
RED - 24v

1 - 9 of 9 Posts