DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Chicago and need to repair 3 floor porch, one of the deeffects is 6x6 columbs are not attached to foundation, need to know a way according to the city code, how to attach the columbs to foundation. ONe way is to cut and put square brakets under the post and put them back, im wondering is there an easier way to do it, like attaching steel angles to foundation and columbs

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
I moved this thread to building and construction for you.

Please post pictures--you might need a couple more posts to be able to do that--

There are many types of brackets made that do not require lifting the post--and custom brackets can be made up by a local welding shop---

Pictures ,please--Mike--

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i posted some pics in my album, to get a better look at what im involved with.
Im in Chicago need a correct way to do it to the code.
How to put those stand off bases under tho?

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
You could jack the deck in the immediate area of the post relieving the pressure. Cut the post to allow a post foot to be installed. Release the jack so the weight is now back onto the post/feet...
Then use ell brackets to anchor the post/feet to concrete.

Note: Sometimes the post will swing out of the way enough to anchor the feet directly to the concrete. Then slide post into feet and nail.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
The only person who can give you authoritative design information is the building inspector. Since you want to do this correctly, I presume you are going to pull a permit, why don't you talk to the inspector?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So i can just call a building inspector and they would tell me the propper way of doing it to pass the inspection requirements?
Because i have to pull the permit for this job

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
I cannot speak for your building inspector. When I wanted to build my deck, I went in and talked to the building inspector. He gave me a handout with all the requirements for building a deck to code, I built it in accordance with the handout, and had not problem with the inspection. Similarly when I need to get a permit for installation of a wood stove, the building inspector gave me the criteria, I contracted the job out and gave the contractor the list of requirements, they built it in accordance with the plan, and it passed inspection. Your building inspector may be equally helpful.

·
Registered
517 Posts

https://www.strongtie.com/retrofitpostbases_postbases/rpbz_base/p/rpbz

I would recommend temporarily supporting your deck and pulling the post to the side and using the bases that joecaption posted a link to. Its a better base, its the right way to do it and, will look much better when your finished but, they do make these retro fit ones too, if you want to use them it will be faster and easier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much should a customer be charged for me going to building department spending 2.5 hrs in general for pulling the permit

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
I don't understand what you are asking. Are you a homeowner looking to repair your own column? Are you a contractor who is going to repair someone else's column? If you are a contractor, only you know what your time and effort is worth to pull a permit for the repair. If you are the homeowner, why are you asking how much to charge a customer?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts