DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched through the forum but did not find anything related to my issue. I have a hot water convector I am trying to remove from my bathroom. It is a Sterling Type W-A Convector. It is a completely exposed wall hung unit with flat top and air inlet in through open bottom of unit enclosure.

I have removed the cover to expose the plumbing. The valve on the outside was originally painted shut but I was able to free it up. I turned it 180 degrees (the furthest it would go) clockwise in order to close the valve and shut the water off. The only problem is that doing so does not shut the water off. I opened the bleed valve and water still streams out. Is there something I am doing wrong or another valve that needs to be closed? I have provided some pictures so you can see what im working with.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,793 Posts
Ayuh,.... My guess is,... That valve is Beat, 'n no longer works,...

You need to find somewhere, Up-stream to turn it off, or drain the system, 'n then do yer replacement/ repairs...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
you turned the valve off on the feed line and water will not circulate through it anymore but the return line is still connected to the system so you will still have pressure in it.did you shut the boiler off and release the pressure?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you turned the valve off on the feed line and water will not circulate through it anymore but the return line is still connected to the system so you will still have pressure in it.did you shut the boiler off and release the pressure?
I did not shut the boiler off. I am in a condo building built in the 60's and I believe there is one main boiler for the building in the basement. Would the removal of this convector require me to have water shut off to my entire tier for a short period of time?

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,793 Posts
I did not shut the boiler off. I am in a condo building built in the 60's and I believe there is one main boiler for the building in the basement. Would the removal of this convector require me to have water shut off to my entire tier for a short period of time?
Ayuh,... We don't know the plumbin' lay-out,...
Where ever it's gotta happen, whatever you wish to work on, or remove, ya gotta shut off the water on Both ends of the work zone...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts