DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so we have the mold done and 2" of road base down and ready to pour the concrete. Thickness will be 4-5" of concrete. The mobile redimix concrete places here charge almost $600 for a line pump (which is almost as much as the cement is costing) so we are going to pour it ourselves with a cement mixer we are renting.

A few questions I have.

Having the 2" base down, Do I need to cut control joints in the pour? If so how often do I do that ( largest area of the patio is 30' x 15') and how soon after the pour do I do it?

I am going to texture the surface (slate tile look) with a trowel. Do I need to let it set up some before doing that?

We want a natural, oklahoma stone type color to it, what's the best way to do this? ie. acid based stain or concrete coloring?

Any other pointers you can give me?

I appreciate your help. Thanks

·
Registered
951 Posts
That's a lot of concrete. 30x15x.5 is over 8 yards.

Are you going to be able to mix it, move it, and finish it before it sets up? I watched 4 guys pour 3 yards of concrete for footers from a truck yesterday and it was lot of work.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
okay, so we have the mold done and 2" of road base down and ready to pour the concrete. Thickness will be 4-5" of concrete. The mobile redimix concrete places here charge almost $600 for a line pump (which is almost as much as the cement is costing) so we are going to pour it ourselves with a cement mixer we are renting.

A few questions I have.

Having the 2" base down, Do I need to cut control joints in the pour? If so how often do I do that ( largest area of the patio is 30' x 15') and how soon after the pour do I do it?

I am going to texture the surface (slate tile look) with a trowel. Do I need to let it set up some before doing that?

We want a natural, oklahoma stone type color to it, what's the best way to do this? ie. acid based stain or concrete coloring?

Any other pointers you can give me?

I appreciate your help. Thanks
Based on the post, I would say this is way over your skill set unless you have qualified help backing you up.
How many people will be helping you?
Have anyone of them finished concrete before?
Consistant coloring of individual batches of concrete with a little mixing unit would be impossible.
Is the base amount and type adequate for your area?
With a decent crew, a truck delivery of the color you want, you have a shot. As described, I don't think so.
Ron

Reactions: concretemasonry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
7.65 yards. I've got 3 people helping all of them with some
Experience building (mission work) 1 with some concrete experience and I've done so much research. Talked with several contractors and watched dozens of videos. I also have 4 youth running materials to the back yard and 2 cement mixers going. I'm thinking we can put up additional hardboard to separate into sections. Can I leave this in the cement or should I use cedar? I would rather not have a inch and a half piece of wood showing. Suggestions ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and we are in Austin tx. The ground below the mold is very rocky. We don't freeze here. 2" base may even be over kill.

·
Super Moderator
22,179 Posts
7.5 yards is way more than 3 guys can do by hand with two mixers. It's going to take you 3-4 hours of mixing. By that time the first load will be setting up. Order ready mix and get a bunch help with wheel barrows instead of the pump. Or rent a skid steer with bucket to carry it. Or rent a concrete cart either manual or motorized.

The finishing is whole differnt aspect. If no one has finished concrete before you best hire this out.

·
Super Moderator
22,179 Posts
Tow behind(Ucart concrete is a brand name) usually only hold 1 yard. Even that would be a tough haul. You would need seven loads.

I did a 10x10 pad last summer. It took us 2 two hours mixing and there were three of us who had done this many times before. We had to pause half way through to trowel the first part of the job as it was setting up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have to agree with everyone else.. you really shouldn't try and take this on. i would say maybe. MAYBE if you are willing to buy the premix..but not mixing it yourself. also with the heat where you live. you'll be shocked how fast that concrete will set up. and thats a lot of concrete to have it not turn out..if you think that mixing it will be hard.. try breaking it all out and then paying for a company to come do it the second time around.

JT

·
Banned
116 Posts
If I just had to do this project ....

Scheduled 4 weeks before the last frost date when all the materials of the mix used are cold giving a longer time before set.

8 man crew with 4 wheel barrows

pre-mix ordered in 2 loads with about a one hour difference in delivery time. First load 5 yd spread evenly across the project. Second load to top out the forms

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,882 Posts
By the time you buy Portland cement at retail price, plus all of the aggregate, you're going to be close to the same investment as ready-mix, and have an inferior product when it's all said & done, not to mention you'll probably be short a few friends.

I'd suggest ordering the ready-mix, early on a cool morning, and using a power buggy or even a few wheel barrels, depending on how far you have to go with it. My employees would have no problem wheeling 8 yards of concrete say 100' feet, as long as it wasn't all up hill in the mud. How far do you need to get it & what, if any, are the obstacles?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys. Been so crazy busy I hadn't had a chance to follow up on this thread. 750 sq ft patio poured and we love it. Finishing up the outdoor kitchen now. I will never ever ever do this again. I literally had my butt kicked and took a Month off from doing any more concrete work. Now I'm finishing up the outdoor kitchen. Question. I want to texture the walls of the bar ( which is made of cinder blocks and concrete ) and then stain it all. Can I use mortar over the blocks for texture or should I use stucco ?

image-129643893.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts