DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, and thanks for the help. I have a bathroom that is 12 ft long by 5 ft and a half inch wide so 60.5 inches wide. my shower pan is 60 inches wide so what do I do with this half inch gap? should I split the difference and fir out both ends by a 1/4 inch? should I fir out one side a half inch? which side, the faucet side or opposite? should I not fir out anything and just make like a half inch shelf lol?:biggrin2: also since I cant have the cement board to drywall transition flush, how do I hide the exposed cement board and sides of the tile? bullnose wont work I don't think, all it would cover is the sides of the tile, but the cement board and thin set would still show.:vs_mad:

20171219_212658.jpg

20171219_212716.jpg

Screenshot_20171219-212958.jpg

Screenshot_20171219-213116.jpg

·
retired framer
39,865 Posts
1/2 in. strips of plywood one side best if you can do the whole wall, if you already have drywall on rest of wall just add a second drywall over that.
You want to add solid blocking between studs at bottom to give solid support for the board. I would add then first and then the spacers.
The blocking is to prevent the movement at the bottom that breaks caulking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
both walls that have drywall on them are already textured and painted and totally finished, plus both walls have a door so firring out the entire wall would be a lot of work. why would you do 1/2 in on one side instead of 1/4 on both? thanks for the help btw

·
retired framer
39,865 Posts
both walls that have drywall on them are already textured and painted and totally finished, plus both walls have a door so firring out the entire wall would be a lot of work. why would you do 1/2 in on one side instead of 1/4 on both? thanks for the help btw
Either would work as long as you have a plan on where and how you end the tile. Maybe a double edging on one side one, on the board and one on the tile.
I am sure there are other ideas too.

Or if you just space out the tub could you still make the board work with out spacing that out?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if I do a 1/4 inch on both sides and I install 1/2 cement board on the studs then the cement board would rest on top of the shower pan flange. is that ok or should the cement board overlap the flange?

·
retired framer
39,865 Posts
if I do a 1/4 inch on both sides and I install 1/2 cement board on the studs then the cement board would rest on top of the shower pan flange. is that ok or should the cement board overlap the flange?
Yes that will work, I staple plastic to the wall to come out and down the flange a little Hold the board up 1/8 off the tub and fill the gap between plastic and the tub and flange with silicone.

See post #4 that Larry posted here.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/old-tub-backerboard-overlap-575802/#post4947122

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,001 Posts
Use 1/2" quarter round to cover the transition from the drywall to the backer board. I would use PVC.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Get out the destructions for the pan and read them. They prolly want you to bring the tilebacker down and stop it right at the pan. Then the tile will go on past the backer and stop maybe 1/8" from the top of the "ledge."

So you may not have to do anything with your walls. Usually the tilebacker brings you in 1/2" from the flange. In your case, if you split your extra 1/2", the tilebacker will only bring you in 1/4" from the flange and that will still let your tile continue on down.

Make sense?

Regarding your tilebacker-sheetrock transition, if I am following you correctly, just bring your tile on past the joint with a piece of bullnose. If you don't want to use bullnose or if a profile is much less expensive, use a piece of profile and terminate with a square edge.

Look at the sectional view on the Mustee installation instructions which I've attached:

http://www.mustee.com/product-lines/shower-floors/square.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts